Premed 101 Forums

Vr For Practice Test 3?

jordan19

I've heard that this practice test was brutal. So I decided to see whether or not I'd fair a good shot. I did okay, but was wondering how indicative were these passages to the real thing? Harder or easier? And how did your mark fair in this section for practice test 3?

I'm pretty sue AAMC Practice Test 3 is the easiest one . . . I could be wrong

AAMC's are practically useless if you want to gauge your score...

This wasn't the case for me. I wrote AAMC 10 two days before my real MCAT and had the same total score on both. Physics went up one on the real thing, bio down one, and verbal the same.

A lot of people say the verbal passages are longer on the real thing. I think it only seems that way because the computer I used on test day had a smaller screen then I'm used to using and the font seemed larger. Obviously with larger font, the text seems longer and more scrolling is required.

I think the increased nerves usually make things seem more difficult than usual.

A lot of people say the verbal passages are longer on the real thing. I think it only seems that way because the computer I used on test day had a smaller screen then I'm used to using and the font seemed larger. Obviously with larger font, the text seems longer and more scrolling is required.

I agree actually, I thought the practice AAMCs were very reflective of the real MCAT. On my real test, compared to the AAMCs, I thought the PS and VR were about the same, WS a bit easier, and bio a bit harder (but this might've been because it happened to cover topics I didn't know as well).

Overall the AAMCs seemed very similar to the real MCAT in format and difficulty, with maybe somewhat different focus in content. I do think that people find the real exam harder because of nerves, or that they don't take the practice test under the same conditions as the real test. Honestly I don't like it when people say the real test is significantly harder than the practice exams, because I don't think that was necessarily true. By saying that, you hurt the confidence of people about to write the test, which may cause them to perform worse than they would otherwise, making a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I agree in that the PS and the WS are very similar to the AAMC practice tests. However, I do not think the bio resembles the practice tests for some passages. On the real thing, I think they are usually 1-3 bio passages that are a lot harder than those practice tests because they turn into a verbal reasoning for bio for some of their questions-making you read long experiments and getting you to infer answers from the passages. However, I really think it depends on the MCAT that you get. Also, I know the verbal reasoning on the actual MCAT is definitely longer, but I agree it seems harder because of nerves. But the added length doesn't help for nerves.

Archived