Premed 101 Forums

linkage of OMSAS and AMCAS?

but i heard from my friend that a a friend of his applied for early decision at one of the schools in the states and interviewed. however, the school did not send an offer (before oct 1st) so that friend of his was forced to withdraw her app because she wanted to apply to schools in Ontario...is that just an early decision thing?

so i'm also assuming then that i can accept an offer with one school and the other schools in AMCAS wouldn't know about it and will still consider me?

Nope!

10char

but i heard from my friend that a a friend of his applied for early decision at one of the schools in the states and interviewed. however, the school did not send an offer (before oct 1st) so that friend of his was forced to withdraw her app because she wanted to apply to schools in Ontario...is that just an early decision thing?

so i'm also assuming then that i can accept an offer with one school and the other schools in AMCAS wouldn't know about it and will still consider me?

Early decision does have rules, but I don't know them. I know it doesn't affect regular apps.

Early decision excludes you from any further AMCAS applications. This does not preclude you from applying in Canada.The LCME accredited US and Canadian schools are linked somehow. Schools on both sides of the border can see where you have been accepted to. This becomes important around the US decision day/Canadian offers day in May, because rules dictate you can't hold more than one spot at a time. This means given you get a spot in January, you can sit on the US spot penalty free, and should you get an OMSAS spot, you would have to make a decision because schools on both sides will know. However, until that time comes, I really think there is no involvement/meddling.

I once asked a US school years ago about Early Decision. You ultimately can withdraw from early decision acceptance, but you can't go anywhere else in the US. There should be no effect of early decision on Canadian applications and your friend was likely not wise to withdraw their AMCAS (makes no sense to withdraw even if there was no acceptance to start with).

Archived