Premed 101 Forums

Interview for waitlist?

One of my friends told me that anyone who submits their secondaries close to the deadline (i.e. a couple of days before) is essentially applying for a spot on the waitlist (best case scenario). Is this also true for ivy league schools, who claim to not have rolling admissions? I have very strong stats, but I was just wondering if I'm wasting my money applying to ivy league this late in the game. I'm very unfamiliar with the american admissions process, so hopefully someone here can help me out and let me know what they think...

Thanks in advance!

Not all Ivy schools are non-rolling. Harvard, Yale, Duke I know are non-rolling and they wait until everyone has interviewed before making decisions. Not sure what other schools are non-rolling... I don't believe you would be at a disadvantage at those schools for applying late. For the rolling schools (most American schools are rolling) you'd be at a disadvantage applying late in the cycle. It's not hopeless, there are people who get in with a late application, but there are fewer spots left and your chances of getting accepted goes down. A lot of rolling schools start handing out acceptances by Oct 15 (earliest date). I went to school (undergrad) in the states and my advisor told me to submit my AMCAS well before mid July.

Archived