Premed 101 Forums

CASPer Strategies

I feel like timing was definitely one of the most difficult parts of this test, I often found myself getting caught up with thinking about the first question and spending most of the time answering the first question (there were a couple times I spent almost 2 minutes on it). I then tried skimming all 3 questions first to get a better idea of what they might be looking for in the answers and it helped me gauge the amount of time I should spend on each question (picking up the pace for questions that I had a good answer for and spend more time on more iffy questions). Still not quite sure how I would approach it next time if I ever have to do it again.

How did you guys tackle this thing?

I also did the same thing.

When I was watching the videos, i jotted down the key topics/ key words on a piece of paper. Tha way I already had a feeling as to what they might ask me.

As soon as the question page showed up, i skimmed through the questions. This way, my brain has already started finding solutions/ examples to help me out in answering the question.

Tackled the ones that came to mind first, without letting myself go beyond 1 minute mark.

Then, started tackling the harder question.

If I had time remaining, i went back to the "easy" questions and expanded on what I wrote.

ALso, I found it helpful to relate the topics of each videos to a doctor like scenario in my mind, and with that I sculpted my answers... Best of luck everyone!!!

And in my opinion, although you cant really prepare for CASPer, there are a few things you can do to help yourself out:

--> relate every scenario to medicine

--> Read up on medical ethics, I liked DOing RIght because it gives you a LOT of these types of scenarios..

In long term, I found that personal experience is everything. THe night before think about major ECs that you have done and about the problems that have arose from it and what you have learned from those situations.

A big part of my answers / guidance came from running my own club, working in the lab and volunteering in the hospital.

Found part of my answer:

"There are twelve sections to CASPer, each section requiring short-answer responses to two or three questions. Eight of the twelve sections are prompted by situational challenges arising in video-clips lasting roughly one minute in length; the other four are prompted by self-descriptive questions. A total of five minutes per section are provided for your typed response. A break of up to 15 minutes is allowed midway through CASPer. After the 12th and final section, all applicants are required to complete an exit survey. The total time on task is approximately 90 minutes."

Responding to the video questions wasn't too bad - it was pretty easy to figure out where they were going. I also found myself sometimes spending too much time on a single question, but I focused on answering each question fully and then not trying to go back to it.

The personal situation questions were much tougher on time, I wish that these sections provided a little more time. On one question, I spent the first minute thinking of a good situation (often it was hard to come up with a situation any quicker), and then answering the questions in 4 minutes - a tough task!

I just finished mine, and although I'm not sure how I did, it was an interesting experience. Fingers crossed I did well enough to get an interview!

just finished mine, it was certainly an interesting experience

i felt this was much much more fair than the ABS

timing was certainly an issue though

that said, i am glad mcmaster has implemented this

if they time us individually on each question 2 mins a question or something it would be more easy to come up with good answers then but yeah i came out impressed with the system.

i dont know how i did, but atleast now i know that people who get interviews would all be someone who are genuinely deserving unlike with the ABS where anyone who could get someone good to write got interviews

i felt this was much much more fair than the ABS

i am glad mcmaster has implemented this

atleast now i know that people who get interviews would all be someone who are genuinely deserving unlike with the ABS where anyone who could get someone good to write got interviews

That is precisely why Casper was implemented. :)

Archived