Premed 101 Forums

Interview invites!!

Hah, I can say with 100% certainty that I will not get an interview this round... didn't apply.

That conversions sounds quite unfair. If the difference between 3.5 and 3.9 is ~5%, then to get a 90% post conversion, you'd need upwards of a 4.3 GPA! (Assuming the scale is linear...)

There is an assumption that 90% UBC equals 4.333 at SFU.

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Kyla do you mind me asking where else you applied?

- Lupe

I have apps for Queens, NOSM, Mac. I will be ineligible for NOSM and Mac- because they include my marks from 1999 i am at 2.98 OGPA. Queens- I am a hair below the GPA cutoff from last yr (last 2 yrs) so I have no chance there either.

So that was my only chance for this year.

Next plan- move to the Yukon in July, do a 3-yr distance degree in Psyc, indigenous studies (maybe some women's studies?) through Athabasca. NOSM, here I come!

If I can keep my grades up for my courses this term I will have a shot at Queens for next yr. It's hard because my partner is very demanding of my time. I think he wants me to give up and have some babies. Not happening.

Anyways, big changes coming in my life. Stay tuned! :D

Enough about me- I need to get to work and finish some stuff up. I will post my AQ stuff later tonight unless I am too embarrassed:p . It will be very interesting to work out some conversion numbers in the coming days!

Seems that its all about wording :S

My lists of activities are really really bad (I think I had a max of 6 or 7 activities) but I spent quite a bit of time explaining the significance of them.

I didn't have any hospital activities. Just some intramural sports, music

got a 15 :S

which is still not bad I guess..

That's very confusing. Do you mind me asking exactly what you did and how you worded it? You can send me a pm if you wish.

If you didn't receive an interview try not to take it to heart. I know it's hard. I was in that position a couple years ago. It makes all that hard work seem like a waste. But it's not - your experiences accumulate, your knowledge of the application system increases, and your chances go up with every app. If you really want medicine then evaluate your NAQ and AQ to figure out where you are weak and attack those areas. It takes time but if you are committed the stars will align.

Best of luck.

I have apps for Queens, NOSM, Mac. I will be ineligible for NOSM and Mac- because they include my marks from 1999 i am at 2.98 OGPA. Queens- I am a hair below the GPA cutoff from last yr (last 2 yrs) so I have no chance there either.

So that was my only chance for this year.

Next plan- move to the Yukon in July, do a 3-yr distance degree in Psyc, indigenous studies (maybe some women's studies?) through Athabasca. NOSM, here I come!

If I can keep my grades up for my courses this term I will have a shot at Queens for next yr. It's hard because my partner is very demanding of my time. I think he wants me to give up and have some babies. Not happening.

Anyways, big changes coming in my life. Stay tuned! :D

Enough about me- I need to get to work and finish some stuff up. I will post my AQ stuff later tonight unless I am too embarrassed:p . It will be very interesting to work out some conversion numbers in the coming days!

You should have applied to Toronto if you had full course loads because they would have taken off some of your bad marks. Also, why didn't you apply to Western?

- Lupe

IP Naq 19 AQ 7! wow they killed me on the aq.

ogpa 78

last 60 82

Time to jump off Gage towers. who wants to join!

How did you get 7 with overall gpa of 78% ? That's weird. The average was 14 which I believe is about 80% so it shouldn't be that far off from 14.

where did u get this information? Is this posted somewhere?

If you go through this thread and the interim statistics posted online you will find these results.

Which is why I said earlier in this thread that it makes absolutely NO SENSE to have a minimum GPA of 80% for OOP and even 75% for IP, because even if these people got 25/25 on their NAQ they would still not get an interview.

- Lupe

IP, regrets

OGPA 76.6

Final 60: 79.3

AQ= 4.47/25

200~ hours of crisis centre volunteering

200~ hours of coaching youth soccer

Thousands of hours of refereeing soccer

Four years of research in various areas

M.Sc. completed

Amongst many others

NAQ: 10.55

MCAT: 32R (11,11,R,10)

Northern resident..

Wow... what is going on! 4.47 ?

If you go through this thread and the interim statistics posted online you will find these results.

Which is why I said earlier in this thread that it makes absolutely NO SENSE to have a minimum GPA of 80% for OOP and even 75% for IP, because even if these people got 25/25 on their NAQ they would still not get an interview.

- Lupe

But remember each one here is treated differently based on the actual degree type, institution and other factors.

But remember each one here is treated differently based on the actual degree type, institution and other factors.

At the end of the day, everything is converted to percentages. They would have to release more information for certain institutions I suppose, which they will likely not do.

Although to be honest, I'm glad I submitted this application even though I had NO chance of getting in, because I used the activities section for the UBC application to help me fill out all my other apps and since UBCs app was due so early it helped me get a good handle on things.

O well.

- Lupe

So, UBC changes the admissions game from NAQ-focused (extreme) to AQ-focused (extreme). Wow.

If these statistics from Lupe are correct,

92-93 = 25

87-88 = 19-20

82-83 = 12-13

There is an unbelievable correlation... +10% = +12 on AQ?

It'll be hilarious when they end up changing it again for the next cycle and screwing everyone over :)

Hey guys,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Regrets. OOP.

Prereq: 86.54

Overall: 86.19

Final 60: 83.32

AQ: 16.74

NAQ:13.9 (incl. 1 first author paper)

Good luck to everyone who gets an interview and thank you all for sharing and being supportive.

Looks like my estimates appear to be roughly accurate.

Archived