Premed 101 Forums

What are the chances of acceptance letters going out early?

I was doing a little fishing and I found out that interviews last year were Feb 14ish and acceptance letters were sent out around March 17th (yay St. Patty).

Has anyone heard if acceptance/rejection letters will go out earlier than the March 7th date they have listed as "tentative"? Given that we interviewed late November it only seems to make sense that it would go out earlier.

I have reasons to know early that go beyond anxiety so I'll follow up and call the Dal med office soon and update but I was wondering if anyone had heard anything about this?

I am not 100% on this, but I believe in the past years, all of the supplementry information was reviewed prior to interviews so it was just a matter of ordering scores once the MMI scores were in. This year, on the other hand, the in-province supplementary is all being reviewed post interview, so the total length of time would be same, just in a different sequence of events.

But since I'm not sure, hopefully you can get revelation from the AdCom.

EC89

I was doing a little fishing and I found out that interviews last year were Feb 14ish and acceptance letters were sent out around March 17th (yay St. Patty).

Has anyone heard if acceptance/rejection letters will go out earlier than the March 7th date they have listed as "tentative"? Given that we interviewed late November it only seems to make sense that it would go out earlier.

I have reasons to know early that go beyond anxiety so I'll follow up and call the Dal med office soon and update but I was wondering if anyone had heard anything about this?

Good question. Do update us if you find out anything interesting. Either way, not too long now!

Way too long!!!

Haha depends on perspective.

I've been trying to enjoy this application year as much as possible now that we're both out of school. At the same time, this has been significantly easier since getting a US acceptance. March would definitely be too long from now if I had yet to have any sense of where I'd be come the next school year.

That said, you know what isn't too long? Hearing back from Ontario schools! And who knows, maybe I'll be in the first batch U/T reviews this year. Albeit this time around I hope to have a chance to interview.

Hope living in Alberta is working out fine, good luck as the next two very important months approach!

I am not 100% on this, but I believe in the past years, all of the supplementry information was reviewed prior to interviews so it was just a matter of ordering scores once the MMI scores were in. This year, on the other hand, the in-province supplementary is all being reviewed post interview, so the total length of time would be same, just in a different sequence of events.

This means that OOP rankings should already be completed since the supplementary was reviewed before the interviews were granted. Ahh! Maybe they could be nice and release OOP decisions now since they are probably just collecting dust on somebody's desk...:P

This means that OOP rankings should already be completed since the supplementary was reviewed before the interviews were granted. Ahh! Maybe they could be nice and release OOP decisions now since they are probably just collecting dust on somebody's desk...:P

++. I guess the difference b/n OOP and IP is that pretty much all IP applicants are invited. Us OOP's should have already been evaluated. The last piece is checking our ref letters for red flags. In theory, that shouldn't take too long w/ roughly 65-70 interviewees (and thus about 140 letters).

Haha depends on perspective.

I've been trying to enjoy this application year as much as possible now that we're both out of school. At the same time, this has been significantly easier since getting a US acceptance. March would definitely be too long from now if I had yet to have any sense of where I'd be come the next school year.

That said, you know what isn't too long? Hearing back from Ontario schools! And who knows, maybe I'll be in the first batch U/T reviews this year. Albeit this time around I hope to have a chance to interview.

Hope living in Alberta is working out fine, good luck as the next two very important months approach!

Congrats on the acceptance, what school?

Here's hoping we both get UofT :)

I was pretty confident that they would have these letters/emails out early but I called the office this morning and they said that March 7th would be the earliest that acceptance/rejection/waitlist offers would go out unfortunately.

Sorry to perk up everyone's hopes!

I was pretty confident that they would have these letters/emails out early but I called the office this morning and they said that March 7th would be the earliest that acceptance/rejection/waitlist offers would go out unfortunately.

Sorry to perk up everyone's hopes!

I hate to stir the pot, but I feel like they might tell you that even if it wasn't the case. Because if they're doing the maritime file reviews, and aren't sure when they will finish, I can't see them saying "Um, maybe early, not really sure", because that would cause incessant worrying and wondering.

I'm just saying that despite that statement from them, I still wouldn't be too surprised to get them early.

not to "stir the pot" once again.. but the 4 month wait period makes me feel like the "percentage" thing they use to evaluate everybody is, in a way, a load of crap. From what I've heard, the admissions committee meets almost every day to discuss things, so there must be lots of other criteria they talk about rather than just sitting around with a calculator and crunching numbers.. otherwise, we would definitely have the results by now (IP applicants didn't all get an interview this year, so they must have their scores as well as the OOP people)

I know someone on the admissions committee, and when I brought up the possibility of letters going out early they laughed and said it was not likely... so I'm going on that and am going to try to patiently wait until March 7th, although I will still probably start losing my mind a bit around mid February...

Also - I thought all maritime applicants were given interviews this year as long as they met the minimum? That's what the FAQ stated... but I could see if they had a large number of applicants having to whittle it down a little bit...

"What determines who gets selected for an interview?

All Maritime applicants who meet the minimum academic requirements will be offered an interview but only a portion of non maritime applicants (usually 55-65) are invited for an interview. Since the academic standards are already set at a high level, it is the essay and supplemental form which determine whether a non maritime applicant will be competitive enough to receive an interview."

All maritimers who meet the minimum GPA/MCAT get interviewed. The adcom is meeting now to do for the IPs what it completed for the OOPs by October. Obviously the adcom can always accept someone for reasons beyond score if they so choose, but Dal seems fairly friendly and transparent.

Archived