Premed 101 Forums

Question for current Mac MD student

I am currently doing my Nursing degree and one of my professors has told us that McMaster's MD program has integrated Jean Watson (a nursing theorist) into their curriculum. Is there any validity to this statement? I find this hard to believe. Any information would be a great help in regards to this ongoing debate our class is having. I feel like I am the only pro-MD nursing student in my class.

I've never met anyone more anti-MD than my nursing professors.

What school are you in? Or, maybe it a requirement of nursing professors. Glad to know that my school is not the only one.

I really want to prove them wrong, so I am hoping that the MD program has not adopted a nursing theory as a component of their curriculum.

How do they behave or what do they say to be anti MD?

Where to begin?? There are our lectures on how nurses need to advocate for patients because doctors do not understand their true needs; Doctors have run the healthcare system for too long and it time for nurses to step up; or, how we need to double check and question doctors on certain ordered care that doesn't agree with nursing theory or science.

As far as behaviour goes, there is no behaviour I can pinpoint as most of my professors probably haven't worked as an actual nurse alongside a doctor in years or decades.

I just find that rather than embracing all professions to come together for the patient, our professors are trying to make nurses seem God-like and better than others.

• 1 month later...
Where to begin?? There are our lectures on how nurses need to advocate for patients because doctors do not understand their true needs; Doctors have run the healthcare system for too long and it time for nurses to step up; or, how we need to double check and question doctors on certain ordered care that doesn't agree with nursing theory or science.

As far as behaviour goes, there is no behaviour I can pinpoint as most of my professors probably haven't worked as an actual nurse alongside a doctor in years or decades.

I just find that rather than embracing all professions to come together for the patient, our professors are trying to make nurses seem God-like and better than others.

That is very interesting to know. I wondered why some (not all!) nurses seem to be disgruntled towards doctors and med students. I have been in Mac Meds for two years now and I don't know anything about nursing theory being involved? What exactly is it about? We talked a bit about "cultural safety" in Pro Comp, which I guess started as a nursing theory...

That is very interesting to know. I wondered why some (not all!) nurses seem to be disgruntled towards doctors and med students. I have been in Mac Meds for two years now and I don't know anything about nursing theory being involved? What exactly is it about? We talked a bit about "cultural safety" in Pro Comp, which I guess started as a nursing theory...

Well, google humanbecoming theory and you shall find out all about the coexisting with the illimitable rhythmicity of the humanuniverse.....These are just a few of the made up words that nursing theory (not all theory, some is biomedical based) are made of. It's all about patient choice, being truly present, etc. Common sense things that nursing scholars need to make up B.S. words (IMO) for to sound smart and apparently attempt to give nursing some sort of legitimacy.

Not all nurses are flakes or anti-MD just seems to be most of my Professors and a few I have met during clinical placements. Thankfully I have two years left and if the Gods are on my side (which they usually are not) I will be starting this September at MAC for the Physician Assistant program.

Archived