Premed 101 Forums

For those who are already accpeted VS US VISA??

terrypk1

Hi People

I am probably going to states and study medical school there after being offered.

however, I am kind clueless in this visa application process.

When do people usually start to get theri application going?

And do we do it ourselves or does the school do it for us?

I am very lost, so any information will be apprecaited. :confused:

Thanks

They will send you an I-20 application to fill out. For me last year with UKY, it came in at the end of March. Once you fill it out, they will send it to US customs. The school should send you something back. You take this, go to a US border agency, apply for the F-1 visa and pay for the SEVIS fee.

Don't sweat it. It's a really easy process. Your school will take care of you.

The school will just want some basic info from you, ie: how you are going to pay for your school.

They will send you the I-20 papers. Once you get that, you are pretty much done (not that you really did anything to get these papers).

Sit back, relax, do nothing.

When ready to move just get to the border show them the I-20 and say you are a new student. They will make you pull over and go inside their shack, there you will fill out some more papers, you pay them some mula, they give you an I-94 card that you staple to your passport.

Done.

Welcome to the states.

The I-20 is really quick to generate. The schools and border agency have an online interactive system called SEVIS (student and exchange visitor information system) that works on real-time. I've seen I-20 generated within minutes. It all depends on how quickly your school official feels like doing them. The paper itself means nothing. It is just a document made by the school to vouch for you and proof that you are a student at their school. If your status expires according to SEVIS which the border guards can see while you cross, they will take away your I-20 from you anyhow and cart you away Jack Bauer style (yes, a mix-up with my status made me experience this first hand :( )

Don't sweat it. It's a really easy process. Your school will take care of you.

The school will just want some basic info from you, ie: how you are going to pay for your school.

They will send you the I-20 papers. Once you get that, you are pretty much done (not that you really did anything to get these papers).

Sit back, relax, do nothing.

When ready to move just get to the border show them the I-20 and say you are a new student. They will make you pull over and go inside their shack, there you will fill out some more papers, you pay them some mula, they give you an I-94 card that you staple to your passport.

Done.

Welcome to the states.

I really like how you said MULA. LOL. and hey, Canadian dollar is bigger thant USD now...SO GOOD FOR US.

Archived