Premed 101 Forums

AMCAS GPA 9 => 4 scale ?

zunik

Alright, so my school uses a 9 GPA scale and I was wondering what are the accurate conversions to the AMCAS scale.

Below is my school's official scale. I heard some strange conversions such as A- = 3 on AMCAS scale which would equal a B on our school scale. Could some one explain how this works?

TYgjW.png

Thanks

This is an interesting question. based on this chart:https://www.aamc.org/students/download/125250/data/2011conversionguide.pdf.pdf

It does kind of look like a 7.0 would be weighted as a 3.0, or a B+, but I don't think this is correct. The only line on that chart that would make it seem like that is the first white line, all the others make it seems as though an A- would be counted as an A- or 3.7. It doesn't make sense that UVic would be weighted any differently that all the other schools (but it would be just my luck!)

BTW- I emailed AAMC about this and got a non-response. :rolleyes:

So does your transcript have a number range for each point on your scale? If there's an actual number correlation for each point on your scale, then you basically just back convert to a number range, and from that, convert to a 4.0 AMCAS GPA scale.

e.g., 9 = 90+, 8 = 85 - 89. , then a 9 or 8 on your scale would be a 4.0 on the AMCAS scale.

So does your transcript have a number range for each point on your scale? If there's an actual number correlation for each point on your scale, then you basically just back convert to a number range, and from that, convert to a 4.0 AMCAS GPA scale.

e.g., 9 = 90+, 8 = 85 - 89. , then a 9 or 8 on your scale would be a 4.0 on the AMCAS scale.

If my grade is an A-, it corresponds to an 80-85% in the course. There is a little "legend" on the side that tells you this. However, right next to the grade given, it says that the "Grade Point" is 7.

that's why it's confusing- we're wondering if AAMC is going to use the A- and call it a 3.7, or the "7" on the transcript and call it a 3.3.

I think we're being paranoid at this point, but rightly so. :)

You mean A- corresponds to 80-84%?

The AMCAS scale takes precedence. Normally what they do is they take your numerical score, then convert it via their scale (same 4.0 scale, with 85+ being a 4.0). Does your transcript JUST say A 9, or A- 8? (no percentage scores like 90%, 85%?)

The AMCAS scale takes precedence. Normally what they do is they take your numerical score, then convert it via their scale (same 4.0 scale, with 85+ being a 4.0). Does your transcript JUST say A 9, or A- 8? (no percentage scores like 90%, 85%?)

How can we get this verified? The transcript would mention the number ranges (at the back) and letter grades but not actual course percentage

How can we get this verified? The transcript would mention the number ranges (at the back) and letter grades but not actual course percentage

Archived