Premed 101 Forums

April MCAT

Guest macdaddyeh

Guest macdaddyeh

Hi there:

I think it's time for me to chin up and take the MCAT. My question is: Are there differences btwn. the April and August one? Advantages or disadvantages? How long should one study? (especially me with nil physics or chemistry since high school)

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there macdaddyeh,

My condolences! :P However, if nothing else, the experience is a character builder, as you can see from the variety of post-score release posts recently! :)

It's very difficult for anyone else to recommend how best to cover your needs for the exam. However, a start is that you could go to your local bookstore and sit down with one of the more reputable MCAT prep books. (I'll let my August 2003 MCAT writer friends fill you in on the latest and greatest there.) Have a look at the subject outlines for each of the exam areas. (Many books will offer a series of chapters covering most of the topics appearing on the MCAT.) After reading those you may have a better feeling for your current MCAT knowledge baseline. From there, you can make a better assessment of the time you will need to spend to bring your knowledge up to date for MCAT conquering. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest LIPOSUCTIONATOR

Since the MCAT is based on how well you do in comparison to everyone else, I think the April MCAT is harder because all the Americans aiming for Ivy League schools will write in April due to rolling admissions (competition is more fierce). Of course, Canadians will write August to avoid conflict with exams, but there # of Americans who are capable of scoring high 30s in the MCAT is greater than the # of Canadians.

Advantages of writing in April:

1) you can write again in August if you don't like your score

2) you won't have to agonize over waiting for your scores which will come out very close to application deadlines

Guest Lola Lee Lolo

eeep, liposuctionator, are you serious about the ivy leaguers writing the april mcat? do i really want to face that kind of competition? argh, another thing to think about when considering whether to rewrite in april or august!:\

Guest RageoftheDragon

I wrote in april, no prep other than classes, and came out fine...and trust me, it wansn't 'IVY LEAUGUE' status. Remember...we Canucks are smart...:lol

RotD

Archived