Premed 101 Forums

how do i get a job to teach the MCAT prep courses?

Guest californicator

Guest californicator

seeing as how i am already piss poor and that medical school tuition is very expensive, i was wondering how i could get hired to teach an MCAT prep course.

i've used the search button but the threads that don't tell me where to go to get this type of employment.

thnx buds, and good luck to all of you!

I know that some of the big companies who arrange prep courses have forms you can fill out on their websites. That, or their contact info where you can request an application.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Where are you based? If in Toronto, then I have a tip for you.

I took the Princeton Review course, and had the same question as you. I spoke to the manager of the downtown Toronto Princeton Review centre, and he said the following: in order to teach a specific Princeton Review section (they had different teachers and sections for the following: Verbal Reasoning, Biology, Organic Chemistry, Physical Sciences, Writing Sample) then you need to approach the manager with your test scores and section teaching requests. As long as you have scored highly in one of the above sections, then you move on to the next stage of the process: at that time, you had to write a test and then be evaluated on your presentation skills.

I would assume that the various test preparation companies would be recruiting shortly for the classes leading to the April exam, so why don't you give them a shout and ask to speak to the manager?

Good luck,

Kirsteen

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there Elaine,

No, I'm not going to be teaching for the Princeton Review. I investigated the possibility of teaching the sessions leading up to the April 2003 exam after I wrote the MCAT in August 2002, but didn't end up pursuing the opportunity as my schedule was too full.

You're taking the Princeton Review course for April, correct? If so, I'm sure you'll enjoy and benefit from the experience. I found the teachers to be excellent and the material amply extensive and insightful. I'd definitely go back to Princeton Review to prepare for other exams, later on, e.g., the USMLE, etc. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Elaine I

Thanks Kirsteen! I decided to take the course because I haven't taken the basic sciences in eight or nine years (except physiology). I've taken 3 months off work, and have a lighter schedule at school next term (since I overloaded this term). I really don't want to have to write more than once!!

Elaine

Guest Kirsteen

No worries, Elaine!

Princeton Review provides you with a lot of information to cover. One approach that I found worked very well for me was to pre-read the material before each and every lecture. It really helped to cement most of the concepts that needed refreshing, in a very efficient way. In addition, it helped me use class time to clarify minutiae, some of which may have been missed if the material was completely new, and many points of which arose nicely during the actual MCAT.

Cheers and good luck,

Kirsteen

Archived