Premed 101 Forums

Calc based physics

Guest dopetown

Guest dopetown

_Physics for Scientists and Engineers_ by Giancoli seems like a very good book from its reviewers. It's tough and has a lot of examples, which provides great practice.

I know the MCAT PS section is non-calc-based physics. If I learn everything beyond and including calc-based physics, would I be able to do well in the PS section? Or, are we talking about apples and oranges here? I haven't taken a physics course in a while.

-dopetown

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there dopetown,

Giancoli also offers an excellent physics book entitled, "Physics" (shocker :) ). It's a high school level book, but it's excellent in the same ways that you describe above for the other text, and it covers all the physics topics in a manner that closely mirrors the level encountered in the MCAT.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

P.S. The Giancoli text above also has an accompanying solutions guide/student manual.

Guest dopetown

Hi Kirsteen,

Do you have any info on Giancoli's _Physics for Scientists and Engineers_? I'm sure you are right about Giancoli's _Physics_ book in its relation to high school physics, but I am also interested in doing well in my physics class, which I heard is difficult.

Would you say _Physics for Scientists and Engineers_ covers everything in _Physics_ and more? If so, I might as well buy the former.

thanks,

Dopetown

Hi,

In first year, I started in a physics class that required the calc-based giancoli. After a month I switched into the algebra based physics instead because I wasn't able to see the big picture of what was going on with all that calculus in the way. I found that with the MCAT, it is more important to have a grasp of the big concepts so I think that the couse I ended up taking was perfect for that. I would get whatever text is recommended/required for your class, but remember that the MCAT physics section is very simplistic in terms of formulas etc. Since you don't have a calculator, none of the calculations are advanced. Often, they are conceptual rather than quantitative questions too.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there dopetown,

Sorry, but I recommended the Giancoli "Physics" text based on an assumption that you were using it for MCAT purposes. I don't know anything about the Giancoli text with an engineering bent, but I'd agree with 007's post above and at least look at the text recommended by the professor(s). Perhaps you could use "Physics" as a back-up for the course and for the MCAT?

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest seonagh

I'm currently taking a "life sciences" aimed Physics course. All methods make use of algrebra although a few times in tutorials the prof has made some reference to calc. proofs just to enhance understanding.

We are using the Serway and Faughn text "College Physics". I find it great but I must admit that the prof is absolutely amazing at problem solving techniques so we are really relying on the text for practice and examples. There some good solutions on the web but I believe that a full solutions manual is available.

I know that the Giancoli is more technical but I believe that the Serway covers all we need to know. One thing to watch is that the Serway book often goes to arithmetic early on in their examples. My prof uses algebra more intensely as a way to minimize reliance on calculators even with very complex problem (great tech for MCAT to get used to)

Seonagh

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there seonagh,

My prof uses algebra more intensely as a way to minimize reliance on calculators even with very complex problem (great tech for MCAT to get used to)

Hopefully you should not encounter too much math on the MCAT that would require such algebraic finesse. ;) Generally, MCAT math is pretty simple: add, subtact, divide, multiply, ratios, logs and exponents. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest dopetown

If calculations are minimal, then what is so hard about physics and chemistry if all calculations involved are basic? I understand the concepts in physics and chem easily, but it's the difficult and involved problems on the exams that bring my marks down.

Should I go over the concepts briefly and then study MCAT type questions or go through problems after problems of physics and chem and then practice MCAT questions?

Will this be the same for BS?

thanks

dopetown

Guest Steve U of T

Keep in mind that the MCAT is a multiple choice test with a lot of questions, and not a lot of time for each, so the difficulty lies in answering the questions under pressure, rather than going through a long series of complex mathematical formulae.

The answers often involve proportionalities rather than actual numbers, so you don't need much math, but you do need to thoroughly understand the mathematical relationships and what they mean in the physical world. A lot of questions (sometimes even the non-passage based ones) give you the formula you need to solve the problem, and it is your job to process that information quickly and thoroughly. Having knowledge of a physical relationship before encountering it on the test can be helpful, although it's not always necessary to correctly answer the question.

I'd recommend studying the theory quite thoroughly, but also do as many MCAT style questions as possible. Many people will say that the MCAT is a test of your information processing and problem solving ability and not knowledge (and I agree that is how it should be), so practising is helpful, although there is a lot you should know before writing the test.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

I'd agree with Steve U of T's post one hundred percent. Also, although the MCAT rarely incorporates long, involved calculations, they often do like to throw little tricks or trip-up questions into the mix. That is, they may play around with the units or exponents a bit, or other such naughtiness in an attempt to fool you. You have to keep your eyes peeled and wits about you as those are the wee things that can slip during a mental marathon. :)

Once again though, by doing plenty of practice problems and by subjecting yourself to some full-length practice exams, you'll get a better idea of what is to be expected and hopefully, will be able to avoid the pitfalls.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived