Premed 101 Forums

want to buy unused mcat practice exams

Guest ikaj

i did terribly on the VR. my plan is to do as many practice VR from now until August!!!

I took the kaplan prep course so i don't wanto to buy any of their material. Can you guys suggest how I can get a hold of alot of practice exams (especially VR) maybe through the net or bookstores? I already have the review notes I just want to get a hold of practice exams.

Exams that reflect the real mcat would be preferred.

thanks in advance

Guest Lola Lee Lolo

did you download all of kaplan's practice exams? if you took the april or august courses, they made their material available to students via the web.

• 2 months later...
Guest Kirsteen

Hey there,

It's nice to hear that Kaplan's approach evolved. :) That library was a bit of an inconvenience compared to the types of resources offered by other companies.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest LaGriega

I think you should focus on doing VR materials from other companies as well. Each company has its own strengths and weaknesses, but you need to see materials by a variety of test-writers.

For example, the Kaplan VR materials tend to be too simplistic in their questions and answers, and I have worked with several K students who did significantly worse on the MCAT VR than on their practice tests. The Kaplan VR strategy works on the Kaplan VR materials, but it often does not work well on the real MCAT (not enough time for the notes in the margin, too simplistic for the humanities passages, etc.).

I usually recommend that students do all the AAMC practice exams as their standard; if you can get through the Confucius passage on AAMC III and the Picasso passage on AAMC V (?), then you are ready for the worst! I think Examkrackers has an excellent VR strategy (it's explained in their VR book), and their 101 verbal passages book (different book, no strategy) is a gold mine.

Archived