Premed 101 Forums

Kaplan MCAT Workbooks

Guest 0T6

Hi, I'm not sure if anyone would know but I'm considering buying the 3rd and 4th edition of MCAT Workbooks. My question is what would be different between the two? Would the practice material be completely different, or maybe just a few tweaks to the tips and trivial things like that.

Thanks!

Guest Steve U of T

I can't speak of those books in particular, but I do know that the MCAT was restructured for the April 2003 and subsequent tests. From what I've heard, there were some content changes in the bio section, placing less of an emphasis on organic chemistry, and more on genetics. For this reason, it may be worthwhile to get the more recent workbook. I wrote the test before the changes, so I have no first hand experience with the new format. That is simply what I remember reading on the MCAT website a while ago.

Hey Steve, yup you're completely right, which is why the book selection at Chapters is SO limited, most of their stuff is 1991-2001.

But the 3rd edition was published in January 2003, so the changes were incorporated into the book.

I've tried searching google, amazon, and the Kaplan website but nothing on whether the material is different :(

Guest klukyboy

I think either would be fine. I'm pretty sure the books I used predated the changes because they still had chapters on sections that are no longer included like aromatics. I also didn't find the genetics sections lacking. Just make sure you check the AAMC site to make sure you're aware of the changes.

Hey, this is the reply I got from customer service, I'm glad I didn't buy them both then have to go through the hassle of returning

Hello,

These books are similar; the latter has been edited and revised. You

should only buy the more recent of the two.

Regards,

Sarah

Kaplan Customer Care Center

http://www.kaptest.com/contactus

Guest cptn med

You may not even have to buy. My city's main library keeps the latest and former additions (complete with cd etc...). I don't think that there is a difference but I could be wrong.

Archived