Premed 101 Forums

Physics

Guest codloghorn

Guest cptn med

I don't know if it is required for the MCAT (though it couldn't hurt) but I am pretty sure it is required for some schools for their prerequisites. Don't worry about it though. I hadn't taken physics for about 6 years and am finishing 2/2 right now and I am not having a hard time. I think it is a lot like high school in terms of difficulty.

i'm finishing 2/2
What does that mean???

Anyway, any prep course books you purchase will have all the material you will need for the MCAT. If you have taken any university courses (physics, organic chemistry, biology), they will only reduce the amount of studying you will have to do for those subjects. If you haven't taken the physics course, just spend more time for prep on the physics section and it won't make a difference. Its all in the books!

Tweep

Guest malepatternbaldness

I found the physics covered in the mcat was very similar to OAC physics, both in content and in the fact that it is algebra-based. Like Tweep said, you may have to study a little bit harder but you should be okay as long as you follow a good quality prep book.

I've posted a few times about my physics history (or lack thereof)

I wrote the MCAT without ever taking physics - even in highschool - and scored a 9.

I credit my success to

a) taking the princeton review course and studying my ass off

and

B) having a *very* strong ability in general chemistry (the other portion of the physical sciences section).

If physics wasn't horribly difficult for you in high school and if you're willing to study extra hard then I say it is doable.

but, if you find physics is like trying to read japanese, or if your inorganic chemistry skills are poor then I would really recommend taking the university course.

just my 2 cents :)

Archived