Premed 101 Forums

Pinacol rearrangement?

Guest squeegy80

Guest squeegy80

On the AAMC list of MCAT topics, in organic chem alcohols, one of the topics is "Pinacol rearrangement of polyhydroxyalcohols; synthetic uses". I was finally able to figure out the reaction with help from a random website, but I have no idea what the synthetic uses are... Has anyone bothered to research this? I know it's a minute detail, but I just thought I'd ask.

squeegy

Guest Katie MB

I also researched on the internet and couldn't come up with anything really for synthetic uses or what they were getting at. I was wondering about chi square test and how detailed or what they expect for that?? The calculations for that can be quite in depth. Also with regards to the syllabus what do they mean for conversion between English and metric or what we have to know?

Guest squeegy80

Funny you should ask about the units, that was another question I had as well. In my Kaplan review book, they say that any conversion factors will be given, but I don't know if they changed that policy... We might just have to know general units for the basic measurements of each system, but I can't see them expecting us to convert Newtons to pounds*inch/second or whatever that conversion is. In the AAMC practice test I did this morning there wasn't anything about that, but it was the 3R so much may have changed since then.

As for chi square, I'd say just know what it's used for. The formula is too complicated to waste your time on.

squeegy

Guest geckoUBC

Just a thought - is pinacol rearrangement where you react the hydroxyl groups with HO-CH2-CH2-OH to creat a kind of "ring" structure?

If so... what they're getting at is that this is a useful technique in a synthetic pathway because it

"blocks" the potentially reactive hydroxyl groups, so you can react only with the functional group of interest somewhere else on the molecule. You can later do some other reaction to return back to the hydroxyl groups.

Or it could be something completely different, in which case, don't mind me. ;)

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

You should definitely not be required to do a chi-square calculation on the MCAT. Uness things have changed hugely, it's largely irrelevant to what they're trying to test and has never been taught in the more popular MCAT preparation courses.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest blinknoodle

Not that I know the answer to your question, but I actually had the pinacol reaction on my real MCAT. It was a stand alone question.

Good luck guys!

-bn

• 4 weeks later...

Archived