Premed 101 Forums

Scared poopless

Guest druggist

Guest druggist

Hello everyone,

I just wrote an MCAT today, and am now unbelievably scared and discouraged. My Bio and Physical marks have consistently been good, but my verbal sucks--7s and 8s. What do I do with my last week? Just practice verbal and attempt to master it? How?

Thanks for the help,

Greatly appreciated

Cheers

Druggy

Guest 1Smiley

Hi,

The best advice I can give you is to make sure that you read each passage, keeping the main idea of it in mind. Start by briefly reading the first and last paragraphs. Then, read the entire passage, looking for the main idea (the thread that ties all of the paragraphs together).

This advice probably doesn't sound like much, but it helped me raise my VR score from 8 to 11 last year, after I practiced it many times.

Recalling the main idea when you answer the questions will help to systematically rule out incorrect options. If you're going to use this technique though, practice is KEY! Even use it to go over passages you have done before, so you can see what sort of errors you are making.

I know that you haven't got much time, but I've got no doubt that practice can make a difference in a week. I don't think reading a Kaplan book on how to solve VR is going to help you at this point. Just focus and try not to get nervous. Don't cram in practice time the night before the exam.

Good luck! Stay calm.

Guest druggist

Hello!

Thanks for the help! I know I should be trying to iterate the main idea and perhaps even write it before "attacking" the passages, trying to think about how everything fits, etc. I will try what you told me, and perhaps I will go back and look over old passages. I find sometimes that going over passages is more help than doing them!

Thanks for the moral support...

Tommorow is another day

Verbal machine...:evil

45 or bust :smokin

Druggy

Guest PhantomPhoenix

I'm doing ok to good on the practice tests yet I feel like I know nothing...:eek

Its going to be one stressful week...:smokin

Guest druggist

Hello PhantomPheonix!

What qualifies as okay to good? 9-10? Im simply just slow I believe. My accuracy is good, but Ill only finish 6 or 7 passages, I really need to up my speed (without cutting hte accuracy!)

MCAT blues...

:(

Im using this board as a reprieve though

:D

Cheers

Druggy

Guest PhantomPhoenix

10 and up is usually good for me

Too bad I don't have another week...I am starting to get 12's in some sections.

There isn't never enough hours in the day.

Archived