Premed 101 Forums

A bad MCAT mark can never help, but can it hurt?

Guest dopetown

Guest dopetown

Hi,

I have always understood that the 3 Ontario medical schools consider only the latest MCAT marks of their applicants.

I have heard a rumour that some medical schools in fact take the average.

Just to clarify, none of the Ontario universities average all of your past MCAT scores, right?

I'm almost positive that this rumour I heard is BS, but you never know.

-Dopetown

Guest aneliz

UWO considers the scores from your most recent MCAT only... although with the new 'full disclosure' rules, they will be sent ALL of the scores you have ever gotten. This should not impact your application at all though... as they only look at the most recent.

The downside of the 'most recent' rule, is that you cannot use earlier scores, even if they are still 'valid' (not >5 years old) if you have rewritten. This means that if you got a 9 on VR on the first attempt, and then an 8 on VR on your second attempt, you will not meet a 9 VR cut-off. The point: if your scores are not 'bad' think carefully abour re-writing, because statistically you will only change your score +/- 1 point per category... and sometimes the -1 can be a problem! You also absolutely cannot 'mix and match' scores from different test attempts (ie you can't use your VR score from attempt 1 and your WS from attempt 2, etc).

Archived