Premed 101 Forums

I want to write twice mcat in the summer

harryfeng

I am planning to write 2 mcat test in the summer. But I know I can't register them at the same time. The ets policy is that I need to finish one and then I can register another one.

I want to register in Jun and after that want to register one in the sept. Do you think there are still space in sept. after my first test?

Write your test first. Then immediately register for the next available one AFTER your results come out. If you cancel it's a small fee, but whatever -> not much in the long run.

The only way to know is if you want to change your date on AAMC you can see if there are any spots on that date - that's one way to check.

• 2 weeks later...

this is hard to do...and sort of stupid if u ask me...

if ur not ready dont write it...the closer u come to deadline date the fast the dates get filled..the closer u come to passing app deadlines...and more of a mess u get into...

but ooh well...at least it will be good to drive down the average...lol

I don't like this idea. You are essentially setting yourself up to fail. In effect, you are also planning for it. Your goal is to fail the first test, to re-take it a second time this summer. You'd be surprised at how well some people can do on the MCAT after a short, but intense study period. Someone I know of received a 43S after 3 intense weeks. You have to count yourself among this group of hardworkers. This means you would have to get into the right mindset that the MCAT can be your friend, and you can do well on it. The MCAT is not a beast, but a chance for you to achieve glory, not defeat. A winning, positive mindset will help you on the MCAT, as well as anything else medical school, or the practice of medicine will throw at you. It is better if you get into the right mindset now rather than a few years from now. Plan to take the MCAT only once this summer, and plan to do well on it. However, planning is only one part of it, the other part includes careful and deliberate execution of the plan in order to bring it to fruition.

Cliffs:

=====

Plan to succeed, do not plan to fail

Put energy and effort into studying and preparation

Hard work will and always will pay off, in the short-term as well as long-term

I don't like this idea. You are essentially setting yourself up to fail. In effect, you are also planning for it. Your goal is to fail the first test, to re-take it a second time this summer. You'd be surprised at how well some people can do on the MCAT after a short, but intense study period. Someone I know of received a 43S after 3 intense weeks. You have to count yourself among this group of hardworkers. This means you would have to get into the right mindset that the MCAT can be your friend, and you can do well on it. The MCAT is not a beast, but a chance for you to achieve glory, not defeat. A winning, positive mindset will help you on the MCAT, as well as anything else medical school, or the practice of medicine will throw at you. It is better if you get into the right mindset now rather than a few years from now. Plan to take the MCAT only once this summer, and plan to do well on it. However, planning is only one part of it, the other part includes careful and deliberate execution of the plan in order to bring it to fruition.

Cliffs:

=====

Plan to succeed, do not plan to fail

Put energy and effort into studying and preparation

Hard work will and always will pay off, in the short-term as well as long-term

- find a study buddy that can help both of you to keep on track.

- study smart, not hard

- follow PI's tips above.

BTW, nice avatar PI.

I had to write mine twice because I wanted to improve my verbal score. My second test was on the last available day (Sept. 9). All seats were full but as the test day approached, plenty of seats were available at nearby testing centers. I think you should not worry about writing twice right now. Do your first test with confidence and see how you feel when its done.

So, do you need to wait for the score from the first test to come out before you can register for the second one? I thought you can register for the second one as soon as you wrote the first one (like 48 hours after)? Can anyone answer this please?

You do not need to wait that much beyond 48h, it's just that if you sign up after 48h your score won't be released until 30 days later. And if the first score was high enough that you did not need to redo the exam, then you are out the ~$270.

You do not need to wait that much beyond 48h, it's just that if you sign up after 48h your score won't be released until 30 days later. And if the first score was high enough that you did not need to redo the exam, then you are out the ~$270.

Which SUCKS because $270 = 2 shooters and probably another 2 RPGs.

But hey, long term security has a price.

Nice story. This is precisely the reason why I want to write twice as well. $270 could be spent on paying textbooks later or about 95 bubble teas, but I'd rather spend more money to have a second chance in the same summer because this is my last summer before graduation. I understand people say, work hard to just get it done the first time, but I personally prefer to have a 2nd chance at it because I cannot tell if I can do my best the first time. Its just me I guess and I'll go with this plan..thanks for the encouragement bro

Haha I edited it because I didn't want to endorse inebriation as an alternative to studying.

But yeah I really would advise taking it twice. It depends COMPLETELY on what test you get. I'm not a person who stresses, so I was pretty relaxed both days, so that can't be it. I knew the material equally well before both (well maybe worse for the second one). It was the test that made the difference. Give yourself two shots, you won't regret it. What you will regret is having to write it next summer because you didn't give yourself double the odds at acing it

I think in conclusion to the OP: focus on killing it the first time, but have a backup date regardless if you're willing to lose $270.

I second this.

I would never write it unless you feel ready. BUT if you feel you didn't do your best and you have $270 extra, then book another, it won't hurt (except for UofT and a few others (?) that look at your most RECENT)

I think it's not entirely unreasonable to plan to write the MCAT twice. For verbal reasoning, for a lot of people you really need a "good day" - maybe passages that talk about things you have experience with and thus comprehend more quickly. For writing sample, it's subjectively marked (and who knows the formula for the machine), so 2 tries is better than 1.

If someone had a goal to for example get a 40S MCAT (say because they had a bad GPA or isn't confident about their interview skills) then I would say unless they are just that smart, it takes a little bit of luck to score very high like that.

So 2 tries instead of 1, at the monetary cost of another write, and of course the extra time investment. The negative feelings attached to it depend on the person.

Of course this argument only applies if you only want to apply to schools that take your best MCAT rather than your average or most recent!

Archived