Premed 101 Forums

Please help compare Kaplan versus Princeton!!!!

sunshinesky101

Hi everyone,

I have decided that I am going to go with a prep course this summer in oder to prepare for the MCAT. I am really indecisive at this point as to which one I should go for.

Kaplan - less hours and I am able to get it for $1649 (with discounts). Evening classes only at the location I am looking at.

Princeton - More in class hours but slightly more expensive ($1800ish) with discounts (it just a little more expensive because of the extra taxes. Also have day time classes which I would prefer (but time of the class doesn't really matter as much since I don't have any other commitments for the summer).

I have just completed a science degree....I am good with Biology and Physics, ok with Chemistry and did not do organic chemistry or english course. I am going to need to review a lot of the material since I took chem and physics in my first year and its been a little while....although, I feel that I should be able to grasp the material pretty quickly once I go over it. I plan to spend a majority of my summer studying for the MCAT (maybe a couple of hours a week volunteering) but fully committing myself to the MCAT. I also got the entire EK package so I plan to use that as well (especially for the VR section).

I really can't decide which course I should go with. Is the extra in class time really worth it? It is a big investment so I would really like to hear from other people who have already completed any one of these courses and how their experience was.

Thanks,

SS

Thanks thehumanmacbook for the quick response!

I did search this forum for other thread on this topic and there seems to be mixed responses for both.....so I decided to post my own question with some info on my situation to get a better response.

I do understand that at the end of the day, it really depends on me putting in the effort and time to study the material.

Can others who have completed a prep course please comment on what you thought of the course?

I did have a science background. I thought they focussed on both. They went extensively into the material, but each lecture, we did passages, aiming at fortifying a strategy that works for us. They never explicitly told us strategies for PS/BS, but they helped you find a strategy that works for you. VR was basically all strategy learning. Some people don't like TPR's strategy for VR. I didn't follow it to the bone but modified it to fit my needs

Just in case you haven't read this from other places, I think everyone would agree with me that Kaplan verbal reasoning does not lead to good results..

I would take the Princeton Review class

A couple of my friends who did the Kaplan course told me that same thing....so I enrolled for the Princeton course instead for the summer...and I heard EK VR is great...so maybe you should check that out too. Good Luck!!

I'm in the same dilemma as you are, so I don't really know which one to choose and I'm getting mixed opinions on both but I'm leaning towards the Kaplan side because there schedule seems less rigorous than Princeton's, also I want some time to do some self studying rather that go to class almost everyday of the week. So I'm thinking of going the Kaplan way.

P.S I'm looking at the discounts, for me the Kaplan course costs $1949, can you explain how you go the discount.

Thanks

I'm in the same dilemma as you are, so I don't really know which one to choose and I'm getting mixed opinions on both but I'm leaning towards the Kaplan side because there schedule seems less rigorous than Princeton's, also I want some time to do some self studying rather that go to class almost everyday of the week. So I'm thinking of going the Kaplan way.

P.S I'm looking at the discounts, for me the Kaplan course costs $1949, can you explain how you go the discount.

Thanks

I ended up enrolling for TPR since a lot of people on this forum said good things about it, plus I think I need the extra class time to help keep me focused and also thoroughly review the material.....I can't remember much from chem and physics that I took 3 years ago!

About the discounts....on the Kaplan website, it states that they have a $200 rebate offer if you enroll by May 2 and they were giving me an additional $100 0ff because I attended one of their free events.....thats why it was coming out to be $1649 and there are no extra charges for taxes. They were giving me the $100 off right away and for the other $200, there is a form on their website that you have to fill out and submit to get the amount back as a rebate.

The TPR course was slightly more expensive because of the added taxes for Canadians....but I think its worth it for the extra in class hours.

Hope that helps!

I ended up enrolling for TPR since a lot of people on this forum said good things about it, plus I think I need the extra class time to help keep me focused and also thoroughly review the material.....I can't remember much from chem and physics that I took 3 years ago!

About the discounts....on the Kaplan website, it states that they have a $200 rebate offer if you enroll by May 2 and they were giving me an additional $100 0ff because I attended one of their free events.....thats why it was coming out to be $1649 and there are no extra charges for taxes. They were giving me the $100 off right away and for the other $200, there is a form on their website that you have to fill out and submit to get the amount back as a rebate.

The TPR course was slightly more expensive because of the added taxes for Canadians....but I think its worth it for the extra in class hours.

Hope that helps!

Great thanks a lot!

Archived