Premed 101 Forums

Infomation about Program, Curriculum, Tuition...

Hello all,

Many of you have probably also seen this thread under UofA MD, as those are the two I have applied/interviewed at, and I'm sure many others are in the same boat as I am.

So if we may be so lucky to have a choice come May 13th, it may be good to interchange some information so that we can make informed choices about our future homes! :)

To start it all off, I was wondering if any current Calgary Med Students could shed some light on the holiday scheduling at UofC. Such as, one wk at Christmas and two in the summer for preclerkship...

Thanks!

I'm still in preclerk, so I'm not sure. My impression is that you don't get time off, mainly because of a few factors

1) Most programs/doctors don't technically get a Christmas break, unless they use their vacation days.

2) You want to get as much time in as possible pre-CaRMS for either letters or a good evaluation.

In clerkship we don't really have any time off. We have two weeks at Christmas before clerkship starts (clerkship stats end of Feb) and then not again until the following Christmas. So technically 1 full year without any holidays. That being said we do get all stat holidays off unless you are scheduled for call.

As for tuition, no there are no changes. It is the same for the 3 years. The only thing that differs is that we get a stipend during clerkship, around $4800 for the year.

Archived