Premed 101 Forums

examkrakers

Guest ikaj

What does the examkrakers package include?

I am mainly interested to buy practice exams i don't really need study notes. I need alot of practice in verbal reasoning in particular.

thnx

Jaki

Guest Chillibow

Then don't buy examkrackers. In my opinion, the questions used in the book in no way resemble the MCAT. For the cost of the materials, it's just not worth it.

hi chillibow,

what would you suggest then? I want additional practice other than the 6 or 7 aamc exams. (but i heard examkrackers really prepares you for verbal.)

thanks

hey ikaj, there are 4 AAMC practice MCATs you can go through, I bought the Kaplan "Practice Test" book, it's pretty good, there's another 2 there. If you buy Barrons' review book, there are 4 pratice exams there including a full but superficial review section, and it's only $20. Arco also has a book with 4 practice exams, but I've found some of the solutions, especially with Verbal Reasoning, to be completely wrong. If you get Kaplan MCAT 45 there are more passages, but they're so much harder than the stuff in the other practice exams that it doesn't make much sense to buy. Flower's and Silver (Princeton Review) also has a book with 2 practice exams. On oh yah, Arco has another book JUST with VR passages.

So that's 16 practice exams, that should be enough :)

Guest byjude

Yeah, or you can just order the old/sample exams straight from AAMC. It's the more expensive route to go, but their exams will give you the most realistic idea of what to expect.

If you're trying to be economical, it might be better to get practice questions from the sources above, but they don't always reflect what to expect on the real MCAT (eg, I've heard Kaplan varies widely between too easy and too hard, especially the VR which tends to be too easy; from what I've heard, Princeton is the most accurate).

It might be most helpful to balance out a cheap book of sample questions with one or two real AAMC exams, so that you can practice early with the less accurate samples, and closer to the exam, you can check your expectations with a more realistic sample. You can buy AAMC exams straight through their website, but lots of premeds have copies of these kicking around, and you can always try buying them secondhand as well.

Guest 4EverRose

Hi there,

Regarding Verbal Reasoning, I have used practice exams from AAMC (exams 3, 4, 5, 6), Arco, Kaplan, Princeton Review and Examkrackers. I personally found the Arco topics/questions are least relevant to the real thing (I wrote mine last April), whereas the paragraphs from Princeton Review tend to be a bit too long (I consistently found paragraphs that are above 100 lines, some are as many as 140), whereas the paragraphs on the real exam are usually around 80 to 90 lines. Both Kaplan and Examkrackers seem to be about the right length, except that I still find both of them being a bit harder then the real exams.

I personally find the Examkrackers VR exams worthwhile to get, since it gives me 11 full-length exams to practice :)

Guest Chillibow

These books contain many questions in basic sciences for the MCAT. All relevant topics are covered - to some degree; however, I feel that this program is not the best for review. The main objection I have is that the format of materials is NOT what appears on the MCAT. Most MCAT questions are based on a reading passage and very few of the Examcracker's questions are in that form. Those that are based on a passage are very simple when compared to the real MCAT questions. I scored well on the physical sciences section but it was because I worked through real MCAT practice exams. Do not use this book as your sole source for chemistry preparation. I've said this dozens of times to friends, "If you purchase a 'comprehensive' review book make sure you also use old college books, old college notes, and work through old MCAT exams."

As the old saying goes "You pays your money, you takes your chances..."

Just My two cents....

• 3 weeks later...
Guest bonjourtoujour

I used ExamKrackers to study, and I really liked them...(I did a lot of research before I bought books, and I was happy with my choice). If anyone wants to buy the complete ExamKrackers set, I'm selling!

Archived