Premed 101 Forums

Need MCAT help!!

Hoote

Well, here's the lowdown...

I did well on my UofC pre interview score and ended up about 7 points away from the interview cutoff only because my MCAT was disappointingly low (21Q). The good news is that if I can pull off a 29-30 or something like that, and all other factors remaining fairly constant, I should have a crack at getting an interview. I would be considered IP as well. I have an arts degree as well.

So here is my dilemma...

I studied 3-4 months full time for the MCAT prior to writing it. I used a Kaplan live online course and poked at the exam kracker physics book. Unfortunately I did very poorly. I chalk this up to a few reasons.

1. I have been out of university for 7 years and only took one semester each of chem and o chem (i dropped physics after failing the first exam). So I was very unfamiliar with the material.

2. Being out of university for so long, I found that my first month I spent on very introductory subjects and had to literally relearn basic things like how to balance equations, fractions, exponents, etc. etc. This took away from my ability to really delve deep into and gain a strong undertanding of more core concepts.

3. I spent a lot of time learning the material for the first time (there was so much to cover in such a short period of time), working out problems (i.e. solving equations), and only did 5 practice tests close to the date of the test. In the end I saw that there was almost no requirement to work out anything on the MCAT (i only had to pick which equation had the correct location of the variables) and it really emphasized understanding the materials rather than wrote memorization of specific facts.

This year I will be working at a job where I will have about 8-10 hrs a week where I can study for the MCAT with a goal of writing it summer 2012. How do you recommend I study?

I was thinking of something like this:

1. I really need to get a solid foundation of the science required on the MCAT. I think I should look for another source and potentially get a few textbooks to ensure I really have that deep understanding. I also need a lot of practice with these concepts. Perhaps the Examkrackers 1001 questions books would be appropriate. Or would it be best to take a chem or physics course? If I do I worry that that will bring me up to speed on that one subject but will take away from study time on the others.

2. I need to take as many practice tests as I can once I have a somewhat decent foundation. Or is it worth taking them now and using them as a guide as to what I should study? Should I take a methodical approach to each subject or just jump around and hit what is really weak (which is lots of it).

Has anyone else been in a similar situation? What did you do? What do you recommend? Online courses, Examkrackers, university courses?

Thanks so much for your time folks.

Hoote

Were you weak in any one area, or just across the boards, 7/7/7/Q?

You may want to try and get some materials from TPR or Nova, as they are better, in my opinion. Nova is really good for Physics.

Pushing until 2012, you should be able to do some serious work spread out over time. 8-10 is a good amount spread over one year, and even better if you can increase the hours near the test date.

You can supplement with free online materials. I don't think you need to redo the courses.

It was 6 in Vr, 7 in PS, 8 in BS

I also think I will not even bother prepping for the written section other than during the practice tests.

What do you recommend from TPR? The books alone, a course?

I have never hear of NOVA. do you recommend the other books?

It was 6 in Vr, 7 in PS, 8 in BS

I also think I will not even bother prepping for the written section other than during the practice tests.

What do you recommend from TPR? The books alone, a course?

I have never hear of NOVA. do you recommend the other books?

Those scores are good, but, unfortunately, they are not competitive for most schools in Canada, if that is your intent. For TPR, I recommend all subjects, and if you can get away with it, the books alone, to save some cash. I know that some students here are a little tight on cash. I have offered to help, but I can only provide so little.

Nova is really good. I read the first chapter and loved it. I do recommend you check it out. It is cheaper than some, but excellent for Physics. I cannot comment on the other subjects since they are by other authors, but they couldn't hurt either because they contain practice questions.

Just keep at it. Studying over a year can do wonders if done right, and what I mean by this is you could probably pull off a 12/11/12S.

Archived