Premed 101 Forums

Writing MCAT on Sep 1, 2011

Oliver86

Hi guys

I have registered to do my MCAT on Sep 01, 11 and it's my first time. I have finished my third year recently.

1) I want to know if this is too late considering that I don't feel strong and have just started studying for mcat. If so, why is there MCAT dates in October?

2) Is the saying that "do it as early as you can" applicable to computer based MCAT as well? ;)

If you think that I have to do the test earlier is there any option to change that date? if so when should I do it considering that I need to study hard.

My GPA = 3.7 :cool:

Taking the MCAT as early as you can is mainly for American schools as they have rolling admissions. There are no dates in October. You will not receive your score before most application deadlines in Canada if you take in September.

Provided that you request a change more than two weeks until your test date, you can delay the exam, but for a fee.

From personal experience (granted I don't have many), I feel that MCAT in April may yield the best results if you prepare well--simply because MCAT is based on how well you do compared to others, and well... not many people write the MCAT in April, most super smart people are going to write in August/September.

Then again, maybe there is some merit in writing in the summer (e.g. better preparation) =S

You have plenty of time to study so I wouldn't worry about September being too soon. If possible, I think you would benefit from writing earlier. That way if your mark is great wahooo you don't spend your entire summer studying, and if it's not great you have time to study more and write again. I wish I had done it that way!

Taking the MCAT as early as you can is mainly for American schools as they have rolling admissions. There are no dates in October. You will not receive your score before most application deadlines in Canada if you take in September.

Provided that you request a change more than two weeks until your test date, you can delay the exam, but for a fee.

you mean that I should definitely do it in an earlier date or I will lose my chances in Canada?

By delay do you mean doing earlier right? :rolleyes:

sorry for being a little naive

not many people write the MCAT in April, most super smart people are going to write in August/September.

Then again, maybe there is some merit in writing in the summer (e.g. better preparation) =S

Wait a minute, I am a little confused, some one says it's too late to do it in late aug /early sep because I would miss the deadlines and you say it's good to do it in august.

The second thing is, does the name of the month matter? Let's say: Aug 29 is different from Sep 01, are they that different?

It depends when OMSAS last MCAT date needs to be in. For instance, if they say that the MCAT scores must be in before....Sept 31st, then Aug 29th would be the MAXIMUM date because AAMC releases scores aprox 3 weeks after you wrote.

Also, I know this has been brought up before but I don't think that writing in April will necessarily improve your score...they do standardize it so that there aren't many gaps in scores between when more people write it/less people write it. So I would say: aim to do your best, but if you don't get the score you want work harder and choose another date.

From personal experience (granted I don't have many), I feel that MCAT in April may yield the best results if you prepare well--simply because MCAT is based on how well you do compared to others, and well... not many people write the MCAT in April, most super smart people are going to write in August/September.

They standardize the score, so although in theory it seems nice that scores would be higher in the month of April I doubt that the AAMC would let this slide that much, since they do compare to a normal score as well. Maybe that +1 point, but otherwise no.

I think you just got your score because you were that awesome ;)

You can take the MCAT up until the last date in September and still be considered for this cycle. The adcoms just want you to have completed the MCAT prior to the application deadline.

So you mean that the problem is that I won't know about my score to decide what to do but the score will be sent to the med schools on time?

It depends when OMSAS last MCAT date needs to be in. For instance, if they say that the MCAT scores must be in before....Sept 31st, then Aug 29th would be the MAXIMUM date because AAMC releases scores aprox 3 weeks after you wrote.

I really appreciate your response but I'm still confused. Why are there dates in September if there is the opportunity of missing the applications deadlines? In addition, if it takes 3 weeks, then sep 1 would be fine! wouldn't it?

My other question is, how should I know about the exact deadline for universities for sep 2012? I couldn't make an account it OMSAS since it says it's early

So you mean that the problem is that I won't know about my score to decide what to do but the score will be sent to the med schools on time?

That's correct, and for some, money is an issue, and they ought not spend the fees for admission when their scores are not competitive enough for matriculation. As well, a non-competitive score with a submitted application would still count as having applied.

Sorry misread your original post!

Check with the schools you are hoping to apply to as to the last MCAT sitting they will accept. For example the school I applied to accepted dates up until Sept. 11, but others had dates in August or July.

The other thing that you may want to consider, is that if you write in September, you will not have your MCAT score when applying to schools. Therefore you won't know if you meet the requirements set by the school. Since you have to pay to put in an application it could be a big waste of money to apply to a school and then find out your not even eligible for admission. But for some money isn't an issue so that depends on your situation and how many schools your applying to. It could get pricey!

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but there seems to be some merit to this. I guess the AAMC doesn't really standardize it that much...April seems to be a better writing date for a higher score.

Is it true that August mcat is harder to receive a better mark than April?

Dal and UBC require you to write your MCAT's by the end of July at the latest, so make sure to take that into consideration if you're planning on applying to those schools.

The deadline for OMSAS is normally Oct. 1st (I think). Don't worry that just yet- focus on acing your MCATS :)

This appears to be incorrect information about UBC. According to their website (see link) the last accepted MCAT test date is August 31st.

http://www.med.ubc.ca/education/md_ugrad/MD_Undergraduate_Admissions/Admission_Requirements.htm#The%20MCAT

Is it true that August mcat is harder to receive a better mark than April?

The MCAT is a standardized test. It is not scaled in the traditional sense (where you are graded on a curve against your test writing compatriots). The scores are determined in a very specific way.

All test items are 'pretested' by being used on previous MCATs (they are there for research purposes and don't count towards your score). The tests are comprised of these items that have been standardized and AAMC makes their perfect bell curves that way. It is a myth that your score is curved against the people you write with. Therefore, write whenever you want (while making med school deadlines).

(Source: The Official Guide the the MCAT Exam (AAMC)

Archived