Premed 101 Forums

MCAT and Research

summerlove7

I am working 15 hours a week, researching 15 hours a week, shadowing 15 hours a week and volunteering 4 hours a week. Plus all the other normal life stuff.

The study schedule I have made has heavy MCAT study days on days without work. And my one day completely without MCAT is my 10 hour day at work (today).

I hear you, it is hard! But I just need to rock the MCAT so I never ever have to write it again. Thank goodness running keeps me sane.

Hey guys

Are any of you doing research + MCAT?

If so, how are you dealing with it? I come home in zombie mode and try to study w a dead brain that refuses to work (and i don't blame it). ISH HARD.

:(

How much time does your research take up? Are you working full-time in a lab, or field work? There is time between assays, and once you are ready to head home, don't. Instead, head to the library and study there, or a tea shop, coffee shop, etc. Leave the brain dead issues for when you are at home, and vegetate there. Don't study if you are in a vegetative state, that is bad for the long run.

I'm in the same boat! I usually just study in between reactions in the lab. At least I try to... multiple coffees are needed throughout the day. After the lab, I come home, eat etc. and try to squeeze in 1/2 to 1 chapter of additional material as well.

I'm working full time at work, but its not really chemical reactions I'm dealing with. Therefore, theres really no time to sneak in studying. :(

there is a library where I'm working at, so that is a possibility.

:(

How much time does your research take up? Are you working full-time in a lab, or field work? There is time between assays, and once you are ready to head home, don't. Instead, head to the library and study there, or a tea shop, coffee shop, etc. Leave the brain dead issues for when you are at home, and vegetate there. Don't study if you are in a vegetative state, that is bad for the long run.

audio osmosis = win.

Learn to love Jordan and Jon. Laugh at every single crappy joke. Having the basics ingrained will help for harder areas.

The crappy sound effects drive me up the wall! But yep, audio osmosis is great. I have been debating whether to bring it for my runs. It would be good to bring to review, but my runs are my main MCAT break and maybe I should keep it that way. Suggestions?

The crappy sound effects drive me up the wall! But yep, audio osmosis is great. I have been debating whether to bring it for my runs. It would be good to bring to review, but my runs are my main MCAT break and maybe I should keep it that way. Suggestions?

If you're somewhat intense like me, there are no MCAT breaks. MCAT can be found in every facet in your life. Think about it when you run. The friction of the ground against your shoe is actually causing you to propel forward. The heaviness that you feel in your legs is the lactic acid buildup for non-aerobic respiration. Your sweat is a cooling mechanism - energy must be absorbed for the particles of the liquid to gain enough Ek to escape into the gas phase - and that transfer of energy from body to liquid is heat. You think about the ethics of pollution in the air you breathe, which prompts an essay response. Finally you sit down on the park bench which exerts a normal force to your weight and bring out Kant's "Critique of Pure Reason" as VR prep.

Your life is MCAT. Macbook's life is MCAT. Therefore, macbook has no life :(

(biggest logical fallacy ever, btw).

:eek: umm that is pretty darn intense :|

but very commendable :)

im curious macbook, r you doing research as well?

If you're somewhat intense like me, there are no MCAT breaks. MCAT can be found in every facet in your life. Think about it when you run. The friction of the ground against your shoe is actually causing you to propel forward. The heaviness that you feel in your legs is the lactic acid buildup for non-aerobic respiration. Your sweat is a cooling mechanism - energy must be absorbed for the particles of the liquid to gain enough Ek to escape into the gas phase - and that transfer of energy from body to liquid is heat. You think about the ethics of pollution in the air you breathe, which prompts an essay response. Finally you sit down on the park bench which exerts a normal force to your weight and bring out Kant's "Critique of Pure Reason" as VR prep.

Sadly, these are all (mostly) thoughts I have had while exercising. My life is MCAT too. But we just need to rock it so our life stops being MCAT soon. I do NOT want to rewrite.

haha loved that! pretty much the story of my life :P

This is amazing. I feel as if I'm slacking off... After I get home, I'm finding it hard to concentrate on studying. Maybe I'll need to acquire a mindset like yours somehow... but how... haha

This is amazing. I feel as if I'm slacking off... After I get home, I'm finding it hard to concentrate on studying. Maybe I'll need to acquire a mindset like yours somehow... but how... haha

You could just not go home, until you are done with studying. Just go to the library or coffee shop and study a few hours before going home.

Archived