Premed 101 Forums

How To Improve MMI

I worked with a group of other applicants for about a month leading up to the MMI. We came up with questions and set up mock MMIs - we met at least 8 or 9 times (according to a glance at my calendar). PM me if you want a copy of the prompts and probing questions I came up with.

IIRC, you and hubby live in Lethbridge (or Med. Hat?), so it might be more difficult for him to practice with others as much - friends or family can come up with Qs and quiz him, or he can try to set up Skype practice sessions (I know a few people who did that).

So sorry it didn't work out this year - just keep trying and it will happen!

I worked with a group of other applicants for about a month leading up to the MMI. We came up with questions and set up mock MMIs - we met at least 8 or 9 times (according to a glance at my calendar). PM me if you want a copy of the prompts and probing questions I came up with.

IIRC, you and hubby live in Lethbridge (or Med. Hat?), so it might be more difficult for him to practice with others as much - friends or family can come up with Qs and quiz him, or he can try to set up Skype practice sessions (I know a few people who did that).

So sorry it didn't work out this year - just keep trying and it will happen!

Med Hat, but he's taken every possible class here so he's in the process of transferring to UofC to continue working on a second bachelors degree (his first degree is in film).

I practiced 4 nights a week with a friend for the month before the interviews. We used the practice MMI questions posted on premed and we literally set up mock interviews, with the timing, knocking on a door before entereing, etc. We tried to make it as realistic as possible with taking notes and putting on a blank face with the 8 minute limit, and gave each other constructive feedback. I noticed a huge improvement from when we started until we ended and it paid off. I certainly didn't go to any coaches or read any special books or anything.

I started off really bad at MMIs. I think I honestly got lucky with that because I found a really good group to practice with. Its all thanks to them that I improved a lot and was confident for my interview. I think its all about getting the right group to practice with because they can give you good feedback. I think what determines a good group is 1. dedicated: so willing to practice a lot 2. have taken the interview process before: so knows some tips and have actual experience 3. have good character: this is because your own MMI practice will gradually conform to each other's styles so its best to have ppl who are honest and eloquent in expression.

I also never took any coaching. Don't really think paying for it is necessary. Just constantly review and take notes about your own strengths and weaknesses. I also found that recording myself and listening to it helped (it mostly made me hate myself for sucking but it got better), and practicing in front of a mirror really helps as it shows me what my interviewer is looking for.

Also watch out for little indications of poor body language that may just be a bad habit like leg shaking or not making eye contact or overly aggressive hand gestures.

No one starts out perfect (especially not me) but I think that as long as you take a systematic approach to improving (via notes and step by step learning) instead of "just keep trying" then you can improve.

I really hope that helps at least a little.

I had a pretty good MMI score (over 40) and did not directly practice too much - I think the best way to be prepared for it is to shake of the nerves and be confident. I think that taking an improv class, toastmasters, and doing any and all public speaking possible is the best method. He obviously has the smarts and rational thinking to make it that far so it is just about thinking on your feet.

Also, just be honest with yourself. I hear a lot of people who were wondering what they were asking really, or trying to 'figure out the station'. I think that comes across really transparent.

Lastly, and probably the hardest thing, is I think you really have to be bubbly and have fun. I am not sure how you work on being 'personable' but if you go in and make them laugh and smile and have energy - it goes a long way. I had a few of my interviewers comment on that.

And keep trying!!!!!

Archived