Premed 101 Forums

Mac vs. UAlberta

Hi Everyone,

I have been very fortunate this year to be accepted to both Mac and UAlberta for the class entering this fall! I am an Ontario resident (live in Toronto) and have spent my undergrad and graduate studies at Mac. For medicine, I am leaning towards Mac but would like to hear others' input on the pros and cons of each school and which would be a better choice in their opinion? One point that complicates the decision is a scholarship I received from UAlberta that pays for one of my years.

I am drawn by the allure of a three-year program and being close to home at Mac but at the same time I would like a bit of a change. What would you do in my situation? I'm finding it difficult to finalize my decision for Mac. Is there any unique strengths or advantages I could find at UAlberta that may not be present at Mac?

~Thanks in advance :)

One plus I can think of is an increase in OSAP. I think there is an increase for going out of province. I got upwards of $18, 000.00 only 10 000 of which I need to pay back studying while studying at UofC, way more than my friend who went to UofO. Not sure how this would work out with your scholarship though (or if it's 100% accurate).

on the flip side, you pay 1 less year of tuition at Mac because it's 3 years AND because it is a 3 term program (fall/winter, spring and summer terms), you get more funding from OSAP in that case. if you have been out of high school for 4 years, you don't need to declare your parent's income either.

if a change is that important to you, by all means UofA is the obvious choice. I went to Mac for undergrad too and, because I want to practice around this area when I'm a physician, doing electives here will be easier and can show that around CaRMS time I am committed to staying here. also, friends and fam are here and because you already have contacts here, it might be easier for you to do research, etc... since you know how the system works.

good luck with your choice though! :)

Archived