Premed 101 Forums

Reasons not to go to UofC

Don't listen to him. He's on the waitlist and want to move up. His stats from 2009 are fake as well.

I hate people like you. U of C is a great university.

If you got accepted and took the offer from U of C then welcome.

If however you were lucky enough to get multiple offers and are deciding amongst them then there are a lot of good reasons to not pick U of C.

The list of reasons is really long but here are a few things to consider:

- much, much, less elective time then other schools (a serious impediment if you are not already certain of what you want to do)

- "pre-clerkship" electives that are of little value. Little did I know that pre-clerks are almost universally ignored by other Canadian schools. You can only apply for an official elective when formally enrolled in your final years. Not in your final year(s)? Best of luck working the back channels.

- Adele and Dr. Walker are wonderful but the have little role in your day to day curriculum. Often happy to offer advice, formally they are the gatekeepers only and the remaining faculty is a far cry from these two exceptional examples.

- I could go on about the lack of basic science education and a whole host of other things but I won't.

Simply put if you have a choice; then seriously think about going elsewhere. Calgary is the right choice only for a small minority of students.

Take the time to track down some current students who'll give you the inside scoop and not just a rose-colored perspective of life on the inside.

Archived