Premed 101 Forums

Housing Tips for a Hamilton Newbie

Hi everyone,

I'll be moving to Hamilton in August and have no idea where to start when it comes to looking for an apartment. I'm hoping some veteran Hamiltonians can offer a bit of advice on the dos and don'ts of renting in Hamilton...

- So I get the sense that you should avoid north/east Hamilton, but is there any difference in safety between the neighbourhoods on the east side vs. the west side of the 403 close to Mac?

- Is it better to be on the east side of Mac for the proximity to hospitals/clinical electives or is it a minimal inconvenience (if that) to get to the hospitals from elsewhere?

- How much is too much to pay for rent? (I know rent will vary by location, what's included, etc., but I'm just curious what the going rate is.)

- How expensive is hydro? (I come from a province where electricity is cheap and plentiful...)

Thanks in advance! :)

Edit: I've read a few other threads, but if there's any additional advice you can offer, I'd really appreciate it!

Based on my experience, it depends on how you want to get to school everyday.

I live pretty close to school (20min walk) so I walk/bike everyday, even the whole winter and I found it really convenient. Parking is not fun at Mac unless you're willing to take out extra time and park far away or willing to spend a bunch of money and park close. People bike from downtown to school even throughout the winter (just bundle up) and sometimes walk - its doable it just takes time!

It also helps for when you have a 3hr break in between doing things so you can go home and have lunch/dinner and come back really easily.

Taking the bus in Hamilton is also really easy and really accessible. I take the bus to the hospital all the time and the bus schedule is pretty accurate if you use the trip planner you will pretty much always get there on time (in my experience at least!)

Places where a lot of people in our class live:

Beverly Hills apartments (on Macklin)

Glen towers ( I think thats what they're called, on Glen st. off Macklin)

- these two are good b/c they are right by the bus stop and the grocery store so its an easy shop on your way home from class.

Otherwise people live all over the place, there really is no restriction. You could potentially have your tutorial/clinical skills sessions at any hospital. Clinical skills might start to move away from MUMC now b/c it has become a peds hospital but you could still have teaching sessions there. Class and PC will always be at Mac so if you plan on going to class and PC then it might be more convenient to be closer but its not a hard and fast rule!

I didn't quote your specific questions so I forgot what they were but I hoped I answered some of them!

Archived