Premed 101 Forums

Canadian Forces

Has anyone in at the U of C signed an agreement with the Canadian forces? I was looking over the recruitment website yesterday and it looks like a pretty good deal for anyone who wants to serve after their residency. Just wondering if someone out there is currently going through the process, and whom would post a few tips or suggestions.

For everyone else, heres the link:

http://www.forces.gc.ca/health-sante/rec/phys-med/msfmr-emrmf-eng.asp

I considered it really seriously for a long while, but with a young family, the possibility of being sent to the front lines is too unappealing. After talking to my uncle (he's a senior ncm in naval deployment) I decided not to go that way... the risks are slim, but the time away and the stress it'd put on my loved ones isn't worth it. It's a really intriguing option I think, and for someone less tied down I think it'd be a great opportunity.

I kinda regret not being able to take it. I come from a bit of a military family, and I wouldn't be where I am today if not for Cadets.

Another great option is to commit to practice in a rural northern Alberta location and receive funding through the Northern Alberta Development Council. They will give you $12,000 a year, and for each year you accept their funding you commit to practice 1-year in a rural location...so can accept the funds for 3-years and are committed to 3-years. Additionally, if you are willing to have them assign you to ANY location, they will give you $24,000 instead of $12,000. A great option for someone willing to practice for a few years anywhere...and no armed forces worries.

I should mention, the deadline to apply for this year has passed...May 15. Good option for next year's tuition if it interests you.

Archived