Premed 101 Forums

Hello Folks,

I had a quick q for those of you who are in med already, and specifically UofC folks.

I have had a tough time deciding to remain at UofC for the 2014 class because I am highly interested in design of medical devices and biomedical research. I know UofC is a leading institution in this field, but I also know that since it is a 3 year program, it is very hard to get solid time to join up with a research project. I don't mean a few weeks, more like a few months.

I was wondering if it is even remotely feasible to do research concurrently with your studies during the first year? I already have a few volunteer positions that run well with my future career choice, but it is research that I lack... and lack to a degree that is not cool lol.

Any suggestions?

Hi LDT,

Yay for research! Yes, it is possible to do research during medical school. I myself have 2-3 smaller projects on the go (I unfortunately don't do lab work), and I wrote and published a first-author paper during Course II (Musculoskeletal Course). Granted, it's a small journal but at least it's in the public domain! :P There are a number of AyeAyes that do lab research on the side, or are writing clinical case reports for more "competitive" specialties. So it is possible to enrich your academics with research experience.

However, I think that research needs to be pragmatic. I would highly encourage students to pick (1) a project that is concise, feasible, and likely to get publishable results & (2) pick a research group that understands you're a medical student with time constraints, provides flexibility, and has good methodological support so you're not doing your research alone. :) A good portion of us who are doing research were graduate students, and are doing work with our collaborators or are wrapping up projects before they get "scooped". heehee

Do you have any research experience with device design and development? Obviously, it's a lot easier for you if you have a background (less leg work in familiarizing with the literature/methodology/techniques). Even if you don't have a background, there are a lot of opportunities through our amazing research institutes. I know that one of the cardiologists who taught us was looking for a medical student (preferably with experience) to assist in a project to develop novel heart valves. So there are opportunities.

You are correct when you say we don't have summers off to work on research. Our research time is spread longitudinally through (a) Applied Evidence Based Medicine (with dedicated time either for research or further clinical immersion), (B) Global Health Project (with dedicated time, although you need to spin your proposal right to talk about global health relevance), © summer electives during your first summer in med (up to 6 weeks), (d) some of your weekly Independent Study Time and time during your holidays. Research in general is a hard road, so it does take time and a lot of effort. :)

The other option is to join Leaders in Medicine, and do an advanced degree in your area of interest (e.g., medical research, philosophy, education, business/MBA). We are unique here at the UofC in that we don't restrict what field students can pursue an additional advanced degree in. Some of our top students go for a joint degree. Yes, it will add more time to your program but you graduate as a MD/MSc or an MD/PhD

For more information about Leaders in Medicine:http://www.ucalgary.ca/jointMDPhD/

http://medicine.ucalgary.ca/grad/news

For students interested in learning more about research but don't want to do an additional degree, please consider joining the LIM Affiliate program! You get all the perks, invites to events without having to do an extra degree. :)

Thank you so much for that reply. I am very grateful to have someone provide information like that!

I myself have not really engaged in much formal research. I am an engineer, so the only research I have done is related to product design. I am not really interested in LIM but I would like to know more about the LIM affiliate program.

I have already figured out that I am highly interested in the surgical specialties and radiology (interventional), all of these specialties are highly competitive and require some degree of research. I just hope to be able to get a research position sooner rather than later.

Would it be advisable to search the research projects ongoing in the fields that interest me at UofC and state that I am entering Med1 and would like to hop on board?

Thank you so much for that reply. I am very grateful to have someone provide information like that!

I myself have not really engaged in much formal research. I am an engineer, so the only research I have done is related to product design. I am not really interested in LIM but I would like to know more about the LIM affiliate program.

Me too. I'm into the biopolymers and drug delivery systems side but have very little interest in surgery specialities...I just think its cool. I wonder if its possible to do a MASc. with the LIM program.

Would it be advisable to search the research projects ongoing in the fields that interest me at UofC and state that I am entering Med1 and would like to hop on board?

Hey LDT,

So happy that you are enthusiastic about research! Yes, I think it's a great idea to browse some of the research projects that are going on. However, try to take it slowly by starting with one project. Med school is an adjustment, and you don't want to be overwhelmed come July with trying to balance school work, research, enjoying life.

Assuming that you have the summer off, I would suggest that you read one or two of articles by the principal investigator before contacting him/her. That way, you know if (a) this is the type of research you are interested in, (B) you can have a good/informed chat with the PI, © it's professional and demonstrates sincerity in your interest (d) you look prepared/superstar!

As you may have heard during med interviews, professionalism is KEY in med school, and it starts from your introductory e-mail onwards (e.g., in an e-mail, it's always: Dear Dr. XYZ... Never first names until he/she says it's okay). For sure, introduce yourself. Let them know that you are interested in learning more about XYZ topic & research in general. Ask them politely if there are any projects that you might be able to become involved/assist in. (It's always nice to read a student e-mail where someone offers to "bring something to the table" too.) Please and thank yous always. :)

Often students start by doing a lit review for PIs, and it's a nice concise project. The thing is, you don't want to get "boxed in" too early into one field, especially if you are just exploring the area. If you find that you enjoy the field, you can always do more research with the PI. If you find that you don't enjoy the field, you can thank the PI for his/her mentorship when the project is done, and move on knowing that you've worked hard, made a good contact, and made a contribution to knowledge.

Don't forget to enjoy your summer as well! :) Most people don't get involved in research until the school year starts. People do some shadowing in their areas of interest before dabbling in specific research. And, remember, research should be an enjoyable and enriching extra-curricular activity. People match to competitive specialties without doing oodles of research. :) Good luck!!

Me too. I'm into the biopolymers and drug delivery systems side but have very little interest in surgery specialities...I just think its cool. I wonder if its possible to do a MASc. with the LIM program.

And mm88, you can do an MD/MSc or MD/PHD in any field offered by the University of Calgary. I don't know if Schulich School of Engineering offers a MASc, but an MEng, MSc, PhD for sure. We also have biomedical engineering research groups through the Faculy of Medicine. Feel free to contact Drs. Beck or Hollenberg if you might want some more information, or even to talk with a current LIM student in that field. :)

Archived