Premed 101 Forums

How to upgrade a transcript for eligibility

Hello, All,

I was wondering if I could get some help as to what I should do for preparations of a transcript for eligibility.

According to OMSAS conversions, the cGPA for my BA was a 2.0. I understand that this is a very low score for medical school; however, one of my years were a flop because my mother was diagnosed with breast cancer and my father was diagnosed with bowel cancer in what was suppose to be my graduating year. I took a fifth year and received a 3.0 GPA and was accepted into a BEd in which I graduated with a 3.6 GPA. I was wondering where I should go from here to improve my chances for eligibility.

I am from Nova Scotia and the medical admissions people told me that they use the two more recent consecutive years of study for eligibility. With that being said, I am in debate whether or not I should take a first year of BSc courses or a sixth year of BA courses. One note I should make is that the medical admissions people said that they would like to see someone like me take upper level courses. I was wondering what everyone thinks about my position and what they would do. I have not yet started studying for the MCAT but I have purchased the Kaplan 2011 - 2012 prep book and plan to study for the next year. I also feel that the BSc courses would serve as a good foundation for writing the MCAT as well. So what does everyone think? Would it be frowned upon if I took a first year BSc and then applied for admission? I am sure that if I take a sixth year BA then I will be repeating a course or two that I failed in the year that my parents were diagnosed. Any and all information would be greatly appreciated.

Archived