Premed 101 Forums

Tips on how to do well in Bio Passages?

Pagan

I'm been reviewing Bio content for the past two weeks and I've got most of my basic concepts down.

But when it comes to the passages I'm completely lost. All this scientific information just overwhelms me and I don't know how to analyze it. I get the content-based questions right all the time but I can barely get 40% of the questions on passages correct.

There are so many terms I don't know and I have no idea what is talking about most of the time! Everything is so scientific, I don't understand it.

People say that biology is pure memorization but I thought I memorized my concepts very well and its hasn't really helped me. I find myself guessing more in Bio passages than VR. Is it that I need to review content more?

Any help?

What sometimes helps me when I'm reading a complicated BS passage is to treat the passage as a VR passage. Try to eliminate answer choices that aren't supported by/mentioned in the passage. Like VR, it'll take practice to develop a strategy.

I don't understand why everyone says BS/PS is memorization, I find it not so. In my opinion, it's all about critical reading skills and applying basic concepts to more complex ideas that have been introduced in the passage.

Just my two cents. :P

What sometimes helps me when I'm reading a complicated BS passage is to treat the passage as a VR passage. Try to eliminate answer choices that aren't supported by/mentioned in the passage. Like VR, it'll take practice to develop a strategy.

I don't understand why everyone says BS/PS is memorization, I find it not so. In my opinion, it's all about critical reading skills and applying basic concepts to more complex ideas that have been introduced in the passage.

Just my two cents. :P

Bio is some memorization for sure (FSQ, some passage Qs). However, LOTS can be deduced by reading the passage as mentioned^.

Just take your time with bio and try to think about what issues the passage is touching on...and practice practice practice! Easier said than done, I know. Did I mention practice?

Archived