Premed 101 Forums

References when reapplying

That is really difficult to answer without knowing anything about you or your references. If you know them well, have had significant personal interaction with them and know they can give you an excellent reference, than you should ask them to be your referee again. Dal uses reference letters as a flag, they aren't scored. The admissions website gives more details and examples of who you should choose but as everyone has different experiences so it will be unique to you - just don't choose a family friend (Dal does not look favourably on this) or someone who doesn't know you well because they won't be able to write the kind of letter you want.

That's my two cents. Good luck

Hi all,

I've previously applied to Dal Med, and am currently re-applying for the 2012 academic year.

I'm looking for some opinions on whether I should keep my previous references, or find new references. Thoughts/input is greatly appreciated :)

I wouldnt sweat it too much for dal. I dont even think reference letters are used in the scoring - from what I understand they are more used as red flags. So unless the scoring has changed, they arent worth much.

In the past they weren't used for scoring, only as a flag (if they were bad). I would imagine this wouldn't change because generally letters are too similar to have the scores really mean anything. So, that said as long as you feel your letters are "positive" I wouldn't worry about getting new ones. Although, the people you use could be flags regardless of letters. I.e. If you used personal references only and no work/academic reference that might be an issue.

Good luck!

Archived