Premed 101 Forums

full file review

Just to clarify: the formula 2(GPA) + VR....

When I calculate it i take the 2 best full time years plus my VR score.

Question # 1: what does calgary consider full time?

Question # 2: I cant find stats on this: what do you have to score (referring to previous statistics) to undergo file review? I'm scoring 17.65. I dont know whetehr thats good or bad?

Question # 2: I cant find stats on this: what do you have to score (referring to previous statistics) to undergo file review? I'm scoring 17.65. I dont know whetehr thats good or bad?

I don't know for question #1

For question #2, you should look up the average admitted data. This is the first year Calgary has changed its admission criteria.

They won't be using your absolute GPA/VR to calculate this score. They will be using standardized values which can be calculated once everyone submits their application

Yes, they use all the full time years and drop the lowest year. A full time year is considered: 8 half courses = 4 full courses = 8 x 3 credit courses, during an 8 month period (most typically Sept to Apr).

Since they've changed to a standardized scoring system it will be difficult to judge your app based on your actual GPA. As someone else suggested I would go to the stats for the last couple years and see what the GPA scores were. At least you'll have an idea if your GPA will be average or above average for standardization.

• 3 weeks later...
Yes, they use all the full time years and drop the lowest year. A full time year is considered: 8 half courses = 4 full courses = 8 x 3 credit courses, during an 8 month period (most typically Sept to Apr).

Since they've changed to a standardized scoring system it will be difficult to judge your app based on your actual GPA. As someone else suggested I would go to the stats for the last couple years and see what the GPA scores were. At least you'll have an idea if your GPA will be average or above average for standardization.

do they only look at full-time courses? or do they look at all courses taken in undergrad when doing the gpa calc?

how are graduate courses considered?

Only when 4 full courses (8 half courses or 24 credits) have been completed are they included in the GPA calculation (for Co-op there is some flexibility)

Regarding graduate studies and GPA calculation, go to this link and look under section 2.4:

http://www.ucalgary.ca/mdprogram/files/mdprogram/Applicant%20Manual%20final%20Aug%202.pdf

Good luck!

Archived