Premed 101 Forums

university courses --> mcat?

torontohopeful

I am not a science student (I take sciences through elective courses), and was wondering how much science I should have before writing the MCAT.

Biology - I have first year bio

Chemistry - I heard BioChem and Organic is helpful as well.

Physics - I heard that high school physics is sufficient, or do you need more?

Math - needed? I have calculus from high school, but that's it.

(Apologies if this has already been posted. I searched but couldn't find posts.)

You need to be extremely comfortable with the basics... some people take the first year courses and then take a prep course.... some people do without the first year courses and without the prep course... do whatever works for you. To get an idea, try the AAMC Practice Test 3 (its available for free).

I think high school physics is enough. I found first year physics to be useless. You can learn bio from the prep books so no need for any bio courses. First year chem is very useful. A lot of people learn orgo by themselves. It is totally doable without the first year courses but if you can take them, you should... makes it a lot easier.

Biology - I have first year bio
Good
Chemistry - I heard BioChem and Organic is helpful as well.
I'd def recommend 1 semester chem, 2 semesters is better but not necessary. Biochem isn't really necessary. I'd recommend having organic 1, 2 isn't necessary. If you can't fit organic before taking your MCAT, you could self teach it.

Physics - I heard that high school physics is sufficient, or do you need more?

High school physics is sufficient if the class was taught really well and in sufficient depth. Most aren't though.

Math - needed? I have calculus from high school, but that's it.

High school math is more than enough if you did well in it (algebra specifically). Calc isn't needed at all.

In terms of the core concepts you need to understand, I found that the material from the following courses (you don't necessarily have to take the courses, just know the material) was necessary:

-HS Physics

-1st Year Chem (Mostly 1st semester)

-Organic Chemistry (Both Semesters)

-Random Bio... there is really no single course that covers all the elementary bio you need, but it's not that extensive and not that difficult

The more science you know, however, the easier the test will be. I found my Biology degree was very useful. All the information needed to answer the complex bio questions was in the passage, but having studied, say, RNA interference is extremely useful when faced with a problem that talks about RNA interference.

Sparknotes: You only need the basics, but the more familiar you are with the sciences, the better you will be able to interpret the questions and the information hidden in the questions, which (once you get past the basics) is what the MCAT is all about.

Archived