Premed 101 Forums

Additional sources for verbal?

TheBookWorm

Hi everyone,

I wrote the MCAT this past summer. I did well in all sections except verbal, which I received an 8 in. .

During the summer, I took the Princeton Review Hyperlearning course. So for Verbal I used their online passages, their Verbal Workbook, their practice tests, and the AAMC tests.

I know I can do much better in verbal with more practice. I have confidence in that. When I first began verbal, I was at a 4-5 level, but after 3 months I was at getting 7-9 on my tests. I guess it takes more time for me to improve my verbal skills. Therefore, I am willing to put more time into it so I am at least at a 9-10 level, or maybe even 11.

My issue is that I can't/don't want to reuse the material I already used. So what other prep books are there that people find useful for verbal? I know there is ExamKrackers which I didn't get a chance to try. But besides that one, if you guys could tell me other books that are helpful, I would really appreciate it. Thanks. :)

Might want to look into the BR books. I don't have them and I understand that they are pain to order. Examkrackers, as you mentioned, are good.

My other comment is that, as you have been in the 4 - 8 range, I would suggest that you do a fair amount of difficult reading outside of those books every day. I don't know what material would be best. Some people suggest The Economist and similar type magazines.

Archived