Premed 101 Forums

teaching at kaplan or princeton review

Link

HEY EVERYONE

I took the MCAT last summer and I was wondering how well you need to do on a section to teach it at either Kaplan or princeton review? Also, I self studied and did not take a course, can I still teach the course?

Hey there,

I taught for Kaplan this past summer. You need to have gotten 90th percentile in each section (as well as overall, obviously). You certainly can teach it having self-studied, I trained with several individuals who did just that.

Hey there,

I taught for Kaplan this past summer. You need to have gotten 90th percentile in each section (as well as overall, obviously). You certainly can teach it having self-studied, I trained with several individuals who did just that.

Hi there,

Just wondering if this includes the writing sample score?

Ah, well that's lovely.

I got a Q on the WS which is apparently below the 90th percentile, but my overall score is 99.1-99.4...I hope they don't put as much focus on the writing sample score, especially considering only this country loves putting emphasis on it, everyone else realizes it's completely useless.

Oh, you should both be fine in terms of score qualifying.

Apply online (sooner the better) and, depending on need in your area, they'll invite you to an online audition. If you do well, you'll have a one-on-one interview and if you succeed there, you'll be invited to training (where you need to pass each of 5 stages to become a teacher).

Again, this is specifically for Kaplan.

Hey Mrs. Snrub, did you enjoy teaching at Kaplan? How many hours/week did you work and what was the hourly pay? Also Kaplan recommends you to have your bachelors degree, and Princeton review requires it, is it hard to get a job there without you bachelor's degree? (Next summer will be between my 3/4th year of undergrad). Thanks.

About Kaplan - a 90th percentile & up in ALL sections does not seem to be necessary. I know because I got hired, and I don't have 90+ percentile in WS. If you get invited to an audition and you do well, I think you stand a good chance. Just apply and see what happens. And apply soon - shortly after I applied, the job posting disappeared.

99.1 - 99.4 percentile? What numerical score is that? Must be pretty high... 38 to 40, I'd guess. Something funny you'll notice is that WS is not included in the overall percentile. I compared with a friend who had a significantly higher WS than I did, but it didn't seem to do anything for the overall percentile.

I don't know if anyone can disclose the hourly pay without breaching some sort of confidentiality agreement. For hours you'd expect to put in, I would think most instructors are part-time, so you'd be looking at maybe 6 hours of actual teaching each week, plus prep time and administrative work (answering e-mails from students, etc). As for how hard it will be to get the job if you don't have your degree yet, that probably depends on the rest of the applicants. If lots of people have it and you don't, then you're probably at a disadvantage. If few have it, then it probably isn't very important.

Hey bilirubin,

You certainly don't need your degree- I'm in 4th year now and I taught this past summer. I actually don't know if they ever even asked me if I had my degree (well, I suppose I told them what year I was in...)

Overall, I enjoyed the job. Training is a little more ridiculous than I would have liked (not terribly hard or anything, just time-consuming and I did it during finals). It's a pretty satisfying job. I may try to switch over to another company simply because I don't like teaching every single section (especially certain lessons in Orgo and Physics...ick) and would rather focus on what I do enjoy (Verbal).

So, there you have it. Let me know what other questions I can answer for you.

I taught for Princeton this past summer and with their course structure the same instructor teaches verbal and the writing section. I remember when I was looking for jobs that Kaplan requires ~90 percentile on MCAT which is about 11 or 12 I think, but for Princeton there is no minimum score. You have to take a content test (30 multiple choice) before you audition though. At Princeton you start off at $23 per hour classroom teaching and $26 per hour private tutoring. Depending on the subject you can teach anywhere from 18 hours to 30 hours TOTAL per course. They schedule your classes around your own schedule so one week you may teach three days a week (2.5 hours per lecture with 15 minute break) and then have 3 weeks of no teaching. On top of that you get paid for 4 hours of office hours per course. You also get paid for preparation time ($12/hour) for double the number of hours you teach - for example, if you teach 18 hours total per course, you get 36 hours of paid preparation time. It works out to be a pretty sweet part-time job!!

About Kaplan - a 90th percentile & up in ALL sections does not seem to be necessary. I know because I got hired, and I don't have 90+ percentile in WS. If you get invited to an audition and you do well, I think you stand a good chance. Just apply and see what happens. And apply soon - shortly after I applied, the job posting disappeared.

99.1 - 99.4 percentile? What numerical score is that? Must be pretty high... 38 to 40, I'd guess. Something funny you'll notice is that WS is not included in the overall percentile. I compared with a friend who had a significantly higher WS than I did, but it didn't seem to do anything for the overall percentile.

I don't know if anyone can disclose the hourly pay without breaching some sort of confidentiality agreement. For hours you'd expect to put in, I would think most instructors are part-time, so you'd be looking at maybe 6 hours of actual teaching each week, plus prep time and administrative work (answering e-mails from students, etc). As for how hard it will be to get the job if you don't have your degree yet, that probably depends on the rest of the applicants. If lots of people have it and you don't, then you're probably at a disadvantage. If few have it, then it probably isn't very important.

Not sure about bilirubin, but my 99.1-99.4 percentile was 39. And that's interesting about how the overall doesn't include WS - I was thinking the same thing but I wasn't actually sure.

Thanks for the help/information though guys. I'm not actually free until May onwards - do you guys know how the hiring process works with respect to that? I.e., do I need to apply now for a job for May?

Not sure about bilirubin, but my 99.1-99.4 percentile was 39. And that's interesting about how the overall doesn't include WS - I was thinking the same thing but I wasn't actually sure.

Yeah I got a 39 as well, with an S on the writing sample. They don't seem to factor in the writing sample into the overall percentage for some reason, I guess they are accepting that the vast majority of schools don't really use it.

Archived