Premed 101 Forums

Chances with GPA

Hi guys,

I'm going to be applying to Dalhousie Medical School next year, and i have a cGPA of 3.764. If you are to look at my last two years my cGPA is 3.871. Would I have good chances to be accepted at Dalhousie Medical School with that GPA.

I know medical school is VERY competitive, and I just want to have an idea where I stand compared to others GPA wise.

Thanks,

And Happy Holidays!

If you look at the Dalhousie MD Admissions website, the average GPA for accepted students is 3.8, so a 3.87 puts you above average for accepted students; however, your GPA is only worth 15% of your application. Have you taken the MCAT yet? Do you have much medically-related volunteer work/volunteer experience outside of medicine? Have you held jobs whenever possible, i.e. part-time during school and full-time during the summers? Do you have a strong story to tell about your path to a career in medicine that would make a convincing essay? These things are worth a lot more combined than just your GPA. In addition, the interview alone is worth 40% of your application.

Briefly, this is a breakdown of how your application will be assessed:

Academics: 25 points

--GPA: 15 points

--MCAT: 10 points

Supplementary Information: 35 points

--Essay: 10 points

--Work Experience: 5 points

--Medically-related volunteer experience: 5 points

--Other volunteer work: 5 points

--Extracurricular activities and interests: 5 points

--Discretion points: 5 points

Interview: 40 points

While it is important to do as well as possible in school, a few bad interview stations could negate a strong GPA entirely, as could a bad essay, etc. Point is, you need to do well overall. That said, there's a lot of room in Dal's application to make up for weaknesses in one or two areas. Best of luck.

Archived