Premed 101 Forums

2nd time MCAT

Happy new year everyone!

I took my MCAT last summer on Aug 12th and got a 10/7/10/S so I am re writing this summer. Obviously verbal is my weakness and so I ask to ppl who have done it twice or are doing so like me, what are some ways I could improve or do things differently besides a heavier emphasis on verbal while studying?

Thanks

Happy new year everyone!

I took my MCAT last summer on Aug 12th and got a 10/7/10/S so I am re writing this summer. Obviously verbal is my weakness and so I ask to ppl who have done it twice or are doing so like me, what are some ways I could improve or do things differently besides a heavier emphasis on verbal while studying?

Thanks

I always found verbal to be difficult to study for, especially for long periods of time so I would suggest starting your studying as soon as possible instead of waiting until the summer. The biggest thing for me was just spending time reading material that you find challenging and decreasing the amount of time it takes for you to form a summary of what you've read. I think a lot of people find that this is something that takes a while to really see improvement in so the sooner you start the better. In terms of study guides etc, I used both TPR and ExamKrackers and personally found TPR to be more similar to the real MCAT but I'm sure there are people with differing opinions. Hope this help! Good luck the 2nd time around!

I wrote the MCAT in 2009 and did poorly on the VR section. I rewrote it in Jan 2011 and got an 11. While I preferred TPR and EK materials, I eventually ran out of passages and was referred to the following book by a friend.

http://www.amazon.com/MCAT-Practice-Verbal-Reasoning-Passages/dp/0981672116/ref=pd_sim_b_1

These additional passages seemed to be very helpful as I found that my score improved steadily the more practice passages I completed. I also very strongly agree with Mr. Sloth. The earlier you start to practice the better as these skills take time to develop. I would also suggest doing the passages 7 at a time under actual testing conditions. I also found this to be very helpful in preparing me for the actual test. Hope this helps!

hey,

just a thought, but it might also be beneficial to widen your scope past people who have written twice. the people who've written once and done "well" probably have a few tips to offer, too. (however, i'm also sure you've been all over these forums looking for help). i don't think it matters whether the person wrote once twice or thrice (lol @ thrice). i do see the point made, though, that people who've improved on a rewrite had obviously learned some additional stuff. i just mean that people who did well the first time probably encountered the same problems and just happened to remedy them in time for their test day. obviously i'd also recommend reading Erk's stuff... but yeah haha you may/probably have all ready done that.

• 1 month later...
I wrote the MCAT in 2009 and did poorly on the VR section. I rewrote it in Jan 2011 and got an 11. While I preferred TPR and EK materials, I eventually ran out of passages and was referred to the following book by a friend.

http://www.amazon.com/MCAT-Practice-Verbal-Reasoning-Passages/dp/0981672116/ref=pd_sim_b_1

These additional passages seemed to be very helpful as I found that my score improved steadily the more practice passages I completed. I also very strongly agree with Mr. Sloth. The earlier you start to practice the better as these skills take time to develop. I would also suggest doing the passages 7 at a time under actual testing conditions. I also found this to be very helpful in preparing me for the actual test. Hope this helps!

Hi, there. How helpful did you find this book? I just bought it and tried a couple of passages and I felt they were so different than other material I have tried like TPR or EK. I was gonna stop using it. Do you suggest I give it another chance?

Archived