Premed 101 Forums

Choosing an American Medical School

fx98opp

you probably need 34+ to get a look at us allopathic schools. Your GPA with a good MCAT 30+ may make you competitive for DO schools. You can always try to do post bacc's but I don't recommend it because its not a sure shot and its mad expensive (pretty much 1 year med school tuition). Good luck

you probably need 34+ to get a look at us allopathic schools. Your GPA with a good MCAT 30+ may make you competitive for DO schools. You can always try to do post bacc's but I don't recommend it because its not a sure shot and its mad expensive (pretty much 1 year med school tuition). Good luck

What you're referring to is an SMP, not just a regular post back.

I would add NYMC in there. They interview a lot of people and they are quite Canadian friendly.

You can also add St. Louis. They are less Canadian friendly (and frankly I don't like the city...) but they do accept a few Canadians.

Good luck!

Hi guys, long time lurker/first time poster here :D

My GPA is on the low side at 3.59, with an upward trend in the last 2 years. I'm hoping my MCAT (36Q, VR 10, PS 13, BS 13) could give me a much needed boost if I apply in the states. My EC's include 2+ years of hospital and mental community home volunteering, school club exec, and recent NSERC.

I failed to make the cut off for interviews for UBC med last year mostly due to my GPA. I plan on applying to Canadian schools as well as a range of US schools this year.

Do you guys have any recommendations for schools that are worth a shot/ not worth pursuing?

So far I've come up with the following:

NYU

Boston

Georgetown

George Washington

Jefferson

U of Kentucky

Albert Einstein

Saint Louis U

Rosalind Franklin

Michigan State U

Wayne State

Any advice would be much appreciated!! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everybody!

I figured I would post this resource that really helped me in my application process. I am a canadian student who applied to many american schools and canadian schools. The american primary and secondary essays I think were really what helped distinguish me, and get me accepted into the american school I wanted to go to. I got help from this website; http://applicationessaysolutions.com/. I really think if it was not for the advice I received fromt this website I would have not gotten into any american schools (or canadian). Ultimately I got into the canadian school in my home province and opted to stay in Canada (mostly for financial reasons).

Anyways, in my opinion, there are thousands of students with similar GPA's and MCAT scores, and the way to get yourself noticed is through your essay. I suggest you take a look at the site.

good luck with your applications! :D

Oakland U has a class size of only 50 students and didn't even interview any Canadian in the last cycle. So, I feel it is better to not waste money in applying there. Even VCU isn't friendly to internationals.

I think best chance for Canadians is at:

Jefferson

Chicago Med-Franklin

Wayne State

MSU

Kentucky

and if you have a good GPA (>=3.8) and MCAT (>=33), then:

St. Louis

Boston

Einstein

CWU

Aim for Harvard and other top ones if you have all 4.0s

The website of University of Kentucky College of Medicine says: "International students are welcome to apply to the University of Kentucky College of Medicine. At least one full year of undergraduate or graduate study in a regionally accredited U.S. school is required for application to medical school."

Does that mean Canadians without one year of coursework in US are not eligible to apply?

Can someone confirm this please.

The website of University of Kentucky College of Medicine says: "International students are welcome to apply to the University of Kentucky College of Medicine. At least one full year of undergraduate or graduate study in a regionally accredited U.S. school is required for application to medical school."

Does that mean Canadians without one year of coursework in US are not eligible to apply?

Can someone confirm this please.

Canadians are exempt from this rule.

Archived