Premed 101 Forums

Thinking about taking a course

mk12

I am thinking about taking a MCAT course in January, but I won't be able to write the exam until summer 2013. Do you guys think it's a good idea to take the MCAT so early?

The MCAT prep-courses are expensive and are usually just there to refresh your knowledge of the material and teach you how to perform optimally on the test. They you assume you have a base knowledge and thus go over the material rather quickly.

I don't know your particular situation but personally it I would take the prep course only a couple of months before your actually test so as to give you enough time to to prepare for the MCAT but not too much time as to forget what you learned in the course.

Also, wouldn't taking the MCAT course in January conflict with your current course work (assuming you are in undergrad)?

The MCAT prep-courses are expensive and are usually just there to refresh your knowledge of the material and teach you how to perform optimally on the test. They you assume you have a base knowledge and thus go over the material rather quickly.

I don't know your particular situation but personally it I would take the prep course only a couple of months before your actually test so as to give you enough time to to prepare for the MCAT but not too much time as to forget what you learned in the course.

Also' date=' wouldn't taking the MCAT course in January conflict with your current course work (assuming you are in undergrad)?[/quote']

Hi ABS,

Thanks for the input. my friend actually said about the same thing, but to me, I won't take any more undergard courses until September, so right now might be a good time to take the course, i don't know.

Also' date=' wouldn't taking the MCAT course in January conflict with your current course work (assuming you are in undergrad)?[/quote']

+1. totally common to devote (at least a month or two of) the summer to studying. imo, not worth it to risk forgetting stuff and your style for approaching the test (ie rusting). also, even if it doesn't conflict with your courseload, it's just like adding another course onto your workload, which probably isn't going to be beneficial, gpa-wise. and, probably not worth risking dropping the scrilla on the course if it's going to be used in a sub-optimal way. that said, if this actually is the best that you can do given your schedule, including the summer, months, then i'd give it some more consideration.

Archived