Premed 101 Forums

What are my options?

Hi everyone.

I’ve been doing a lot of research on these forums and the information on this board as well as the international school board have helped me out tremendously for determining viable steps moving forward.

My background is as follows: 3.56 AMCAS GPA (3.8 GPA in 3rd and 4th yr), 1st MCAT: 28 (B 10/P 9/ V 9) 2nd MCAT: 30 ( B 13/ P 10/ V 7). I consider my EC’s quite strong (lots of volunteering, lots of intramurals, some research and employed with a biomedical communications company).

I plan on working in Canada in the future, however, I’m willing to go to school abroad as well as undergo my residency in the US (however I would prefer Canada). Based on what I’ve read, I’ve determined that applying to a DO school is a viable option for me. However, I’ve seen people mention that there are ‘lower-tier’ allopathic US schools that are about as competitive as USDO schools. Just wondering if anybody knows which schools they are or if there is a list such as this one for DO schools: http://www.doapplicants.com/Pages/Schools/Schools.aspx?mode=2 which provides a breakdown for the avg GPA/MCAT scores required to get into all US allopathic schools. Also, if I do eventually earn a spot at one these ‘lower tier’ schools, will I be at a significant disadvantage when it comes to residency appointment? Are there any other downsides I should worry about with respect to these ‘lower tier’ schools in the states? Does anyone have any alternative recommendations for me based on the info I've given you? I'm open to new suggestions.

Thanks!

That 7 is going to kill you for Canadian and US allopathic schools. For US allopathic schools, you most likely need a balanced 30 (nothing below a 9, still an uphill battle given your GPA and Canadians status) or high unbalanced 30 (35+ then ur 7 is ok). My advice, go DO or rewrite the MCAT and apply for western/queens

Hi everyone.

I’ve been doing a lot of research on these forums and the information on this board as well as the international school board have helped me out tremendously for determining viable steps moving forward.

My background is as follows: 3.56 AMCAS GPA (3.8 GPA in 3rd and 4th yr), 1st MCAT: 28 (B 10/P 9/ V 9) 2nd MCAT: 30 ( B 13/ P 10/ V 7). I consider my EC’s quite strong (lots of volunteering, lots of intramurals, some research and employed with a biomedical communications company).

I plan on working in Canada in the future, however, I’m willing to go to school abroad as well as undergo my residency in the US (however I would prefer Canada). Based on what I’ve read, I’ve determined that applying to a DO school is a viable option for me. However, I’ve seen people mention that there are ‘lower-tier’ allopathic US schools that are about as competitive as USDO schools. Just wondering if anybody knows which schools they are or if there is a list such as this one for DO schools: http://www.doapplicants.com/Pages/Schools/Schools.aspx?mode=2 which provides a breakdown for the avg GPA/MCAT scores required to get into all US allopathic schools. Also, if I do eventually earn a spot at one these ‘lower tier’ schools, will I be at a significant disadvantage when it comes to residency appointment? Are there any other downsides I should worry about with respect to these ‘lower tier’ schools in the states? Does anyone have any alternative recommendations for me based on the info I've given you? I'm open to new suggestions.

Thanks!

With a 7 in VR, your chances at allopathic schools are pretty shot. Period. Same thing happened to me, and my cGPA was 3.87 on the AMCAS scale.

Now, with your current stats and no rewrite, and assuming you get a DO letter of reference, your chances at USDO schools are very good. I'd say "essentially" guaranteed assuming you submit the application early on (like within the week of its June opening).

As for Queen's or Western Ontario, did you hear the one where the guy with the 3.9+ cGPA, 39 MCAT got no interview? Happens all the time - business as usual for them.

What medical schools these days are looking for is a balanced MCAT with most of the weight on VR. This is from Calgary, you can skip over to why they only look for VR

http://podcast.med.ucalgary.ca/groups/facultyofmedicine/weblog/41682/Admissions_for_Applicants.html

However, the good thing about MCAT is you can rewrite it. If I were you, I would get more practise on VR, and find out how you can bring it higher.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks Slashsev1. At least you managed to get a few interviews. Did the schools that granted you interviews also indicate that your low verbal score was why you weren't accepted when all was said and done? Also, Did you manage to get a letter of recommendation from a DO?

Another Q: Are DO schools only looking at the most recent MCAT or do they take all MCATs into consideration (bc I did get a 9 in VR on my first attempt)?

lazyboy: I've put a tremendous amount of time & effort into VR and unfortunately, it's been extremely difficult to develop consistent, improved results. I was extremely fortunate to get a 9 the first time I wrote the test and knew I was taking a gamble writing a 2nd MCAT in order to improve my overall score. I absolutely hate studying for the MCAT and I feel like I'll be making no forward progress with my career if I choose to write again. At this point, I'm ready to move on (hence the name) and start my medical education.

Archived