Premed 101 Forums

MCAT study schedule - advice?

Kasiunut

So I'm about to write the MCAT for the first time in about 6 weeks (HOLY CRAP).

I'm currently taking the Princeton Review course which is winding down in a couple of weeks, which while I have found really helpful, also has pointed out to me just how weak I really am, especially in PS and BS (I'm ok in verbal & writing - consistently scoring 10-11 Q-S). And I'm still at the point where I'm learning a lot of the concepts for the first time - I've only done chem at a 10th grade level, physics at a 10th grade level and IB Biology - I've never taken OChem. And that was over 11 years ago! So basically like starting from scratch.

I want to start studying on my own asap but just don't know where to begin and how to go about it the most effective way.

I'm not working right now but do have a child/husband so was hoping to have the weekends off from studying (and give my brain a rest).

What would you recommend I do? Basically I'm looking for a good study schedule and method to study. I'm looking to spend about 8 hours a day studying, Monday to Friday.

Let me pick your brain - what did YOU do to get prepared?

- just do problems from the work book and study the topics as the questions require?

- reread my readings?

- do practice MCAT exams and then debrief (I have access to about 20 PR and AAMC ones)?

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated! TIA

Archived