Premed 101 Forums

MCAT Summer Schedule

t0ny

Hello fellow premed101ers! I'm usually not a poster, more of an observer but I wanted to get feedback on a few things.

So basically I am finishing a 3rd year of Honours Biochemistry degree and have decided it's time to take the MCAT this summer. I decided that it is best to write it on August 23rd, thus maximizing my study time since I was only going to start studying when finals are over i.e. May 1st.

Now I have always worked during the summer as a Lab Tech at a pharmacy (past 2 years) full time. I realize that If i want to perform on my MCAT, that will not be possible.

So my question to you knowledgeable folks are as follows:

#1: If i work ~24 hours a week, will that give me enough time to prepare? How many hours a day should i study?

#2: TBH I see no point in paying 4 grand for a summer prep course when I can simply buy the books and study on my own. I have taken all the Organic chem classes due to my program (Up to Org-3, Inorganic 1 and 2), I've taken all 3 of the physics and I've taken Too many bio classes to count. How in depth is the material in the PS and BS sections? If you are in a science program, i.e. biochem, does this give you an advantage?

#3 Slightly off topic, but can I consider my Lab Tech job as an EC? I basically get more patient contact then any other job i see myself being able to acquire at this point in time.

Sorry for the long post, Any feedback is appreciated. Thank you all

Hey, I'm a student in 3rd year biochem as well and I'm in a similar boat to you. I'm gonna start off by saying I think you overestimate how hard the MCAT is, especially for biochemistry majors like us - yes, there is a lot of material and some tricky test methods, but a lot of it is review.

#1: Yes, that will give you plenty of time. A lot of people do in fact work full time during the summer and study for the MCAT. It has been done many times before and is quite possible. I myself started working full time in January (and started studying then too) and was planning to take it in May, so about a summer's worth of studying while working full time. Unfortunately I couldn't get a seat until July, but I would be ready for May.

Day-to-day, I study about 2 hours on a weekday (but I take Friday off), and then the weekends vary... I sometimes end up slacking off and studying maybe 3-4 hours the whole weekend, but I try to take a full-length practice MCAT when I can (since I ONLY can on the weekend due to work).

Since you're working less you could easily study for 3 hours a day and that would leave you pretty well off. I've been using the ExamKrackers textbooks and roughly following their study outline posted online:

http://www.examkrackers.com/MCAT/MCAT-HomeStudyWK1.aspx

Their schedule only lasts 10 weeks so I'm changing it a bit and will study more once I finish it (just because I have so much extra time now) but I'm finding is useful as a guide and organizer.

#2: You're right, you don't really need a prep course. The biggest (and only, in my opinion) advantage that it offers is its structure to keep you motivated. You will have an advantage on the PS and BS sections for sure. I haven't taken physics in awhile so I needed a refresher, but it all looks familiar and mostly stuff from high school. The inorganic chemistry is the easiest part in my opinion, and for any biochem major it should be a sinch. You're certainly covered for orgo, but its nice to have a review of some reactions and such (otherwise its pretty basic). It does cover a huge range of biology, but doesn't go super in depth into anything in particular.

#3: Is there not a specific place for employment history? I'm not completely familiar with the specifics of the application, but I think you should just put it in with your other jobs.

Just for interest: I took my first full practice MCAT after less than a week of skimming the texts (<2 hours per section) and scored a balanced 34. I've been studying for over 2 months since and my score hasn't gone up haha (though it hasn't changed too much for the most part).

Good Luck!

I was thinking of doing Sunday Monday Tuesday is work days at the pharmacy. Maybe I'll get in some studying after my shifts for An hour or so. Then Wednesday Thursday full day studies: 10am to 10pm at my university library. Friday studying 10-6pm and saturday daytime studying 10-6pm. Sunday before work is practice exam day. Ill probably start this May 6th. I registered to write the exam on August 23rd.

You think this is an alright schedule to follow?

Also, how in depth is the inorganic chemistry stuff? Because you are saying it would be the easiest part but my inorganic chem class (The first one) was actually ridiculously hard. What inorganic material is covered?

Also im planning on buying a maximum of 2 complete packages of either Princeton, EK, Kaplan because i've heard those are the best. Which two should I get?

That should be plenty of time, if you ask me.

The inorganic chemistry stuff is not in depth at all. When they say inorganic, they just mean not organic... its mostly general chemistry stuff, lots that we learned in high school, some in first year chem. It probably won't be much like your inorganic chemistry class, which probably goes into great detail about stuff. The chemistry is like... acids + bases, solubility, some thermodynamics, very basic quantum, electrochemistry, titrations, phases and stuff... AAMC has a full list on their website.

I have the EK set of books and its been working pretty well for me. I've heard good things about it from other people too so I'd go for that one for sure. As for a second, I don't really know because I've never looked at them.

Now having read a bit more about the several different books (From SN2ed schedule), I think im going to follow the books that he suggests: All of the BR except for bio, All of the EK and some online practice exams. Seems like the most complete package.

My GPA is floating around 3.5 currently which is not the greatest, mostly due to one semester where i got a 2.5 due to a bad breakup right before finals. Im kinda hoping to outweigh my GPA with a stellar MCAT which im sure i can do.

Archived