Premed 101 Forums

English requirement - need advice!

I have been looking at U.S. school admission websites and a lot of them require a full-year English.

I have no humanities credit/my writing intensive courses were all science courses (lab writing/thesis).

I have learned from my friends that summer English is a h-core due to the amount of reading and writing they throw on you in such a short period of time.

I was wondering if it is worthwhile to take it during summer while applying to US med school and working at the same time...

Thanks in advance!

I have been looking at U.S. school admission websites and a lot of them require a full-year English.

I have no humanities credit/my writing intensive courses were all science courses (lab writing/thesis).

I have learned from my friends that summer English is a h-core due to the amount of reading and writing they throw on you in such a short period of time.

I was wondering if it is worthwhile to take it during summer while applying to US med school and working at the same time...

Thanks in advance!

The way to solve this problem is to take two half year English courses whenever you have the time. You might have to suck it up and do it in summer, as I have for one English course myself (which by the way, was likely easier to do then than during the year, and yes, I was working at the time and studying for the MCAT). If it is the only course you are doing, you should have no problem focusing your attention purely to it.

Some people have been known to take courses online through Athabasca U, which is another option, albeit I am not sure the quality of courses they offer.

I'm kind of in the same boat and need to figure out how to do my english classes before end of next year. When they say "full year", do they mean two 3 credit classes? (assuming a full semester is 15 credits)

Yes, they want two 3 credit classes, or the equivalent of two one semester courses, or one two semester course.

I need advice on this too: would it affect my application( canadian med schools) if I take 6 credits(1 year) of english in summer instead of regular year (sept-apr)?

Cdn schools - documented completion of the courses if English is a prereq. GPA calc inclusion will vary by school policy. If it is required for calculation, it will count; if a full semester is needed for marks to count, then it won't count; etc. You need to check with the policies of individual schools.

US schools - all marks count regardless of when or how many courses were taken at one time. As long as the courses are completed, the US doesn't care when.

I need advice on this too: would it affect my application( canadian med schools) if I take 6 credits(1 year) of english in summer instead of regular year (sept-apr)?

US schools recommend taking prereqs during the F/W session but one or two prereqs taken during the summer shouldn't be a problem.

Cdn schools - documented completion of the courses if English is a prereq. GPA calc inclusion will vary by school policy. If it is required for calculation, it will count; if a full semester is needed for marks to count, then it won't count; etc. You need to check with the policies of individual schools.

US schools - all marks count regardless of when or how many courses were taken at one time. As long as the courses are completed, the US doesn't care when.

US schools recommend taking prereqs during the F/W session but one or two prereqs taken during the summer shouldn't be a problem.

thanks for the info :)

• 1 month later...

Do the English Credits have to be completed prior to the application being submitted?

My current situation: I was looking to apply in this coming cycle but I have not yet taken my English credits. I was planning to complete them in the subsequent semester beginning in September, but would that be acceptable?

Do the English Credits have to be completed prior to the application being submitted?

My current situation: I was looking to apply in this coming cycle but I have not yet taken my English credits. I was planning to complete them in the subsequent semester beginning in September, but would that be acceptable?

That is fine. You can document it on AMCAS that you are taking it in the future and the school will want a transcript at the end showing you passed the course(s).

• 1 month later...

Email the school to ask. I took an online course, both of which I finished in less than a month. I would have finished faster if I wasn't working full time. I also took them at a college, which means they were extremely easy. Grammar and sentence construction, if u want an easy A. I even told the school that Canadian colleges are not universities, but they were still okay with it. Good luck

I took 2 english courses (technical writing and essay writing), neither of which were "composition type"... UBC told me that they won't accept the technical writing and that I have to have a composition course... is that going to be a problem for American schools too?

I took 2 english courses (technical writing and essay writing), neither of which were "composition type"... UBC told me that they won't accept the technical writing and that I have to have a composition course... is that going to be a problem for American schools too?

depends on the school. email them with a course description. i took 2 really retarded english courses and they were accepted.

depends on the school. email them with a course description. i took 2 really retarded english courses and they were accepted.

What English courses did you take? and where? English has always been a pain in the ass for me. It sounds like you got it all figured out!!

Archived