Premed 101 Forums

Offered Interview

Hey guys,

For everyone who has applied to Mac in the past, I am just wondering how many of you do/do not have science backgrounds and if you think this had any impact on whether or not you were offered an interview. Im an RN with two university degrees, but with that, no hard science courses and Im debating if I should start taking science courses or do a science focused degree...

Would love any input from you guys! Best of luck to everyone :)

Mac is very transparent in their selection process. They don't care about your background, at all. GPA, Verbal section ONLY of the MCAT, and your performance on CASPER and the interview are the only factors they consider. Oh, also you get a few bonus points for having a masters/phd.

it seems a LOT of mac healthsci's get in to Mac. officially, they should have no advantage, but I'm wondering if they do favour their own. The stats certainly seem to suggest so.

a lot of mac healthsci's get into med school in general

they may just favour their alma mater which may account for a lot of health scis ending up in mac meds

Inflated GPAs are more responsible for this than any bias. Also, the problem does a great job of prepping people for getting into medical school.

I've heard that a large portion of the healthsci's get into mac med, which seems to imply something more than just inflated GPAs .. but you are the resident expert :)

it seems a LOT of mac healthsci's get in to Mac. officially, they should have no advantage, but I'm wondering if they do favour their own. The stats certainly seem to suggest so.

Or, a lot of mac healthsci students get into Mac because the students who are in that program tend to be gearing towards med school. So that automatically means more people from that program will be applying, and therefore some will get in, meaning that it would seem there is a disproportionate amount of healthsci students getting into Mac med.

Plus, if they chose McMaster for their UG, there is probably some reason for that (location, family, friends, etc). It might be a similar reason they'd choose Mac for medicine, given multiple acceptances.

check out this "class of 20xx" links on this page: http://fhs.mcmaster.ca/mdprog/selection_process.html =)

my girlfriend's bro just got into McMaster and I was looking at their programs... the fact that you need 90% in high school even to be considered (and even then it's competitive! :eek: ) for McMaster Health Sci. undergrad might explain why so many health sci get into med school there

Archived