Premed 101 Forums

Required courses after graduating?

Hi,

If I were to take required med school courses over the summer after I graduate, would American med school look at those courses for the next application cycle? Or do you have to take the required courses before graduating? Thanks.

Generally, this is what is written in med school's own FAQ?

Question: Do I have to finish the pre requisites to mark the application complete?

Answer: No, but you have to show that your are registered in this courses through your transcripts and you must complete these courses before matriculation. However, most of the successful applicants have already completed these course.

So, yes you can register for these courses now and if you finish in summer that will be fine. You report your grades to each school individually as an update letter. There is caveat. If you have not taken basic sciences courses and your MCAT in sciences is low, that will not look positive. However, if your MCAT is above average of matriculated Canadians (>balanced 33) then you should go for the application and finish your coursework at the same time.

Archived