Premed 101 Forums

Help with the application

Hey guys,

Last cycle I only applied to Canadian med schools but didn't get into any of them so this time I am planning to apply to some low-mid tier US schools as well. But I don't understand if I should do the early application because my first preference is still to stay in Ont. (and I will be applying to Ont med schools this time too).

My stats aren't that great: AMCAS GPA close to 3.96, 29Q; 7VR (but I am doing a re-write in a month so hoping this will improve by a couple points), average ECs that include 4+ yrs hospital volunteering, some research, exec on a couple clubs, TA etc. Will be entering my 4th year!

Here is a short list of schools where I think I stand a chance: Wayne, NYU, MU, GWU, SUNY, maybe Chicago? ...is this a good list considering my stats?

Thanks!

You are going to need to raise your MCAT to over 30, particularly your VR score. It doesn't matter what your GPA is, with a <30 MCAT as an international non-URM you aren't going to get into any American MD schools. Don't waste your time and money applying to an American MD with <30 MCAT.

Assuming that you can raise your MCAT significantly higher (aim for >35, at least 10 VR), then you will be competitive for most of the schools (Chicago and NYU don't like to take lots of Canadians, I've confirmed this with NYU at my interview there).

You are going to need to raise your MCAT to over 30, particularly your VR score. It doesn't matter what your GPA is, with a <30 MCAT as an international non-URM you aren't going to get into any American MD schools. Don't waste your time and money applying to an American MD with <30 MCAT.

Assuming that you can raise your MCAT significantly higher (aim for >35, at least 10 VR), then you will be competitive for most of the schools (Chicago and NYU don't like to take lots of Canadians, I've confirmed this with NYU at my interview there).

I emailed NYU but didn't get a reply so thanks! I know my MCAT is really weak so im working really hard on improving that score hopefully to mid-30s

your gpa is great

your mcat will not get you any attention...a 7 verbal is also a red flag (even for DO)

+30 with 9 at low end of verbal is needed...

you MIGHT get an interview..but you will probably see the waitlist

i think theres a 100% for a DO acceptance

(dont forget to add NYMC to your list..)

your gpa is great

your mcat will not get you any attention...a 7 verbal is also a red flag (even for DO)

+30 with 9 at low end of verbal is needed...

you MIGHT get an interview..but you will probably see the waitlist

i think theres a 100% for a DO acceptance

(dont forget to add NYMC to your list..)

ya I know MCAT is my biggest weakness right now! Hopefully I can get to 30+ with a re-write. And thanks I completely forgot NYMC !!

Archived