Premed 101 Forums

1 Week Before MCAT Enough?

AshPreMed

Hi guys,

I will be taking a Princeton Review MCAT Classroom course from June 11 until August 23. I plan on writing my MCAT early September (such as 1st or 7th) to apply to American and Canadian med schools. The MCAT course is 5 days per week. This is the first time I will be doing my MCAT, and I'm entering my 4th year. I plan on dedicating the rest of the summer to my MCAT.

My question is, since there are many practice MCAT exams, would 1 week (or a bit more) after the PR course is done be enough time to do them, review, and be ready for my MCAT exam? Although I plan to dedicate my time, would it be realistic and safe?

If not, I'm considering switching to a 6 days per week course. I cannot start the MCAT course earlier than May 30th due to another UofT course. Would 6 days per week be too quick?

Thank you so much for your time and help.

Ash

If your main worry is fitting in the practice tests, you will be doing a sample MCAT on some weekends for your course (I did for Princeton, I think they have a schedule for you to follow if you want). So it's not like you would be doing your first practice test just a week before the MCAT or something.

If your main worry is fitting in the practice tests, you will be doing a sample MCAT on some weekends for your course (I did for Princeton, I think they have a schedule for you to follow if you want). So it's not like you would be doing your first practice test just a week before the MCAT or something.

Still a smart idea?

Still a smart idea?

Well you have a couple weeks after your summer course before the prep course starts, so you could use that. Do you have a science background? I know when I did my prep course I found the schedule was a bit rushed. I had no bio/orgo and very little chem knowledge, and I needed more than a day for each chapter (I think Princeton typically did 1 chapter for a certain subject each day) because I was learning the material before looking at the practice questions. So I ended up not going to lectures and just using the textbooks to study on my own. If you have taken uni science courses I think you will be fine. I had taken university physics and other math-ish courses, and found 1 day was more than enough to review each physics chapter. It also depends on your dedication. I could not study all day and night. I usually studied a few hours in the morning, a couple hours in the afternoon, and stopped around 4 pm, so I was losing time there. I also didn't study on weekends unless there was a practice MCAT scheduled.

So in summary: if you have a science background and have seen the material before, you will probably be fine. If not, I would consider trying to get in a prep course that ends a bit earlier so you have extra time if needed. I think Princeton recommends leaving 2 weeks after the end of your course to review everything. So go for September 7th if possible if you want to follow that.

Archived